Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was going okay, when I was using guide coat with heavier grits. I am having problems now with it clogging the 100 grit.
Possibly I am using the wrong type, using too much, or using it at the wrong time.
When I am filling each night now. I lay down my skim coat, and let it harden overnight (it sands better if it's a little harder.) I also usually spray on the guide coat just after I lay down the filler, maybe I should wait until the filler is hard.

Anyway last night I wasted and clogged up so much sandpaper, it was very frustrating. Finally I used laquer thinner to remove the guide coat. That was better.

What am I doing wrong, or what can I be doing better to make this work?

·
The Penny Pincher
1,951 Posts
Are you completely covering it like a paint coat?
It sounds like you're using way to much.
But I don't know what you're using either.
I usually just mist a coat on with a lacquer "sandable" primer
out of a rattle can. It's no more than a bunch of little specs
after spraying, nowhere near hideing coverage.
But that's all I ever need.
I can't see how that primer could ever clog paper.
Maybe you're using an enamel? It could do that:pimp:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ripped said:
Everything was going okay, when I was using guide coat with heavier grits. I am having problems now with it clogging the 100 grit.
Possibly I am using the wrong type, using too much, or using it at the wrong time.
When I am filling each night now. I lay down my skim coat, and let it harden overnight (it sands better if it's a little harder.) I also usually spray on the guide coat just after I lay down the filler, maybe I should wait until the filler is hard.

Anyway last night I wasted and clogged up so much sandpaper, it was very frustrating. Finally I used laquer thinner to remove the guide coat. That was better.

What am I doing wrong, or what can I be doing better to make this work?
Are you guide coating body filler or spott putty coats? This is not recommended or needed.

Guide coats should only be used in primer coats for block sanding and should not be used heavily.

This is just the way I was taught in the old days and I still carry it forward...

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
SEM guide coat is great stuff. If you use a cheap rattle can paint and use way too much you will get the clogging. All it takes is a very light mist coat, just enough to show the low and high spots. It does not need to completely cover the area.

Vince

3,214 Posts
Ripped.... Consider what a guide coat is for. Quite simply, it is so that when you drag a piece of sandpaper attached to a sanding block across a surface, it will come off, showing where the contact was. That will show high and low spots. It is not for filling or covering anything. If you wanted to "guide coat" over black primer, for instance, you could actually do the same thing by throwing a handfull of bondo dust at the surface, although it would not stick as well.

If you apply it lightly, as said above, you should not have any problems with the "guide coat" clogging the paper.

Aaron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.