Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to do my tear down on my car fix the damage and give her a refresh but I was wondering do the pin up girls go back to the 40's or is that a 50's thing? I was thinking of adding a couple of small pin up girls on either side of the clock to just add a little something along with the redo to the gray shadow wood vs. the natural wood, and i was wondering how era correct that would be?

Oh and heres a couple of shots before I tear her down.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
It appears the pin up girl goes all the way back to the 1890's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin-up_girl

Looking at the pics of your car I have to wonder about adding anything at all. It really looks pristine and perfect just as it sits. If the pin ups you are talking about are removable, then maybe it makes some sense. Otherwise I'd stick with a fairly stock refresh and keep that beauty just the way it is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are the pics to make you fall in love....

Trust me those pics ive posted are kinda like finding a girl online she sends you a pic of herself and your like wow shes hot. You setup a date and when she gets there you realize that the pic was photoshoped. The car is nice overall but does need alot of work I gotta say everytime i post anything on this car I keep getting told stock stock stock but thats not very fun or personal. I dont want to be a butcher but if i have to invest this much time into a project i would like that finish product to reflect me. From the factory there work shows there view but now that I have to go all through it and give it life again I think it should show something new. I guess im weird cuz i seem to look at it way different then everyone else but I feel a car is like a persons personality over the years you pick things up and for the most part your the same person but your experiences have made an impact. This is how i feel about my car its not mint or i wouldnt touch it but since it needs a redo it might as well reflect the man who is doing it.
Sorry for the long rambling just had to get some thoughts out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Your Pontiac looks very similar to a 49 that the owner is pestering me to redo for him. Yes, the pictures you provided in this thread are deceiving compared to those posted in your project journal.

Just how far do you want to go with the car? Obviously, you’re not concerned with originality so customization would seem the appropriate choice. Your best approach for now would be to remove all the chrome. You may want to consider eliminating front and rear bumpers for a modern look.

Let me know what you’re looking to do.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
That's a nice car. Personally, with that era, I like the gangster or lowrider look. Sunvisor, lowered, skirts, lots of nice chrome, nothing that can't be taken off if you decide to go stock again. airbags can work wonders in a car like that, i wouldn't cut much if anything.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I'd leave the sheet metal stock. Keep the hood ornament and the rear bumper emblem, lose the running boards.

Give it a rake, lower in front, w/o going overboard.

Big 455 Pontiac engine, OD automatic (2004R or 700R4) or stick (T56) w/a 9" diff.

Tilt, cruise, AC, killer sounds, comfy 40/60 seating up front w/an overhead console, light tint, some tasty pinstriping, a couple drink holders and it'd be good to go!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly...

Now your talking my language. My plans as of right now are...
Repair all sheet metal and leave that all stock. The bumpers and running boards stay cuz well i like them. All the chrome and stainless go back on. The car will stay black but ill add like a lowrider style tribal stripe about 1 1/2" wide that will be painted like a dark carbon fiber so its in no way the focal point. I want to repaint rims back to black new rubber still white walls but radials. Tint rear side and rear windows. Have a serious sound system to put in there. Two tone interior using pebble grain black vinyl and houndstooth fabric. I am pulling the stock motor and trans and going to a pontiac 400 with auto trans. the wood grain dash and window trims ill repaint wood grain but the grey shadow wood style. I want to give a little something to show what i like but also respect an awesome car. And yes my project journal shows the spots that arent so glamorous about the car but really its nothing im afraid of and its not killed but I just wanted to show that this isnt a show car pulled out of a barn that im going to "molest". If you guys have an thoughts on somethings that could be cool let me hear them id love to see what i might not be thinking about.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
some of the guys here do some real cool computor stuff they can chop it,drop it, shave it and just about anything else you can dream up.Look what one of them did to my old POS 54 p/u it'll give you all the ideas without touching the car till your absolutly sure...I went out and got the software but dont have a clue how to use it yet...look up my thread "54 chevy p/u" or "rust is a must" to see what I mean,amazing stuff :thumbup:

·
Registered
468 Posts
When I suggested removing the chrome, I didn’t mean permanently. However, I do think the car would have a better look without the bumpers.

When you remove the chrome on the hood, I would appreciate if you took some pictures. The car that this guy wants me to redo for him has his missing and there is some lift in the two seems in the center of the hood, which was glassed, that need correcting. Having a hood that hasn’t been molested by some hack is a blessing. Also, I would like to know if that ornament on the hood doubles as a hood latch.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
There are several mags out there, Rod and Custom and Street Rodder are two of them that you might want to check out.

The Pontiac's front bumper would look good made of two smaller pieces of tubing like the center section's bottom two pieces, but extended out to the ends where it is now solid. The front bumper could get the nerf bar treatment- it has the classic type grill for them, almost reminiscent of a '40 Ford.

I wouldn't change the rear bumper at all, unless it was to lose the nerf's, maybe not.

I would definitely consider frenching the headlights and using less-obvious running/turn signal lights than those mounted atop the headlights.

I liked how ours looked w/o the running boards. If kept, I would definitely narrow them. IMO, they're too dam big!

The gas filler neck where it comes up through the fender- I would hide it away under the tag, most likely. If you keep it as original, I'd use a nickel-plated cap w/o any embellishments or logo's, etc.- and for God's sake- NO BILLET ANYTHING!!!

That "trend" has, thankfully IMHO, FINALLY died a death of a thousand cuts. It seemed for a while there that every car from 2000-up ricers, back to T model Fords had to have billet something tacked on it. :rolleyes:

I like the steelies w/dog dishes, especially custom widened rears w/backspacing and mini tubs to tuck them up into the fenders- should be no biggie on that bulbous rear body style to get the tubs fitted in there nicely and still retain enough trunk to be useful. Wide WW's are not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

I would also prolly opt to keep the fuel tank under the car, not a cell in the trunk, for the reasons above- retaining a useful trunk- w/room for a spare tire and a cooler and a tool box and etc. Prolly keep the battery up front as well, for the same reasons.

At some stage, the thoughts of using a front clip from Pete & Jake's, The Rod Shop, Fatman's or Heidt's, etc. will likely come up. Sure would be a smooth way to fit a good brake system, good steering geometry and engine fit, etc. But that will be costly, even if using an OEM clip from an S-10, F- or X-Body, metric, or whatever. Can't beat the improvement over the OEM set-up, though.

Having taken every nut and bolt off of a '40 Pontiac's entire front and rear suspension- right down to the bare frame- I can tell you that there will be a hell of a lot of work involved cleaning, priming and painting the entire deal! I have photographs of parts hanging from a rather long run of wire, drying. Everything from the pedals to the backing plates. :sweat: That wire was filled, emptied and refilled w/parts MANY times during the course of it all.

A reprint of the factory manual is available HERE.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good feedback

cjperotti said:
I would like to know if that ornament on the hood doubles as a hood latch.
yes it does the ornament is defiantly functional. And i will take plenty of pics i plan on pulling all the hood chrome in the next day or two. Gotta find time with things at work being backed up. Let me know if you need measurements or anything cuz hell ill be right there. And i didnt think you meant to leave it off i figured you were just reminding me not to be a hack and just tape them off. Hell with out the chrome the car is just a plymouth...lol sorry deadbodyman

Oh and deadbodyman i have an associates degree in graphic design and i can do all that cool photoshop stuff no prob i just think they never look the same so personally i never waste the time. But thanks for the thought maybe what the hell i may start something on this car so i can see what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
love the ideas

ok cobalt327 lets see if i can tackle everything here.
i forgot about rod and custom so good looking out there, since i bought my car ive bought several street rodders and even a couple hot rod deluxe mags.

The bumper thing is a maybe if this spray chrome machine my boss just bought works like they say maybe if not i think the stock one will work

I dont think id french the headlights cuz id have to lose the chrome bezels and i kinda like them but I have thought about shaving that top piece and going with those split beam headlamp with the built in turn signal

I agree on the running boards i will probably cut 2 or 3 inches off so the sit just inside the fenders. My friends 51 ford is like that and i think it looks awesome.

The filler neck i think will stay the same and ill buy a nickel cap as mine is missing. And i agree billet is for spinners and tuners

I dont want to dip into my trunk space at all cuz im going to build a very clean speaker box for my 12s that im going to cover in the houndstooth. So any tub is out, but may relocate the battery to the trunk depending on what happens during motor swap.

well thanks for all the thoughts and help the manual i have is the factory owners manual, the factory shop manual, and a motors 17th edition that covers 1940-1954 pretty much everything so im kinda set there, but good looking out.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Mr. Twist, Learning grafic design is my next goal I just started using the computor 6 mo. ago. I went out and got photo shop,down loaded gimp and now I feel like a complete idiot,it took two days to draw a line.I think I overheated my brain,after the smoke clears I'll try making a box.Although I've never had a unusual love for plymouths,one fell into my lap and then it was all over with ,I have a real soft spot for them now.my biz coupe ,I'm just now finishing up was a little ugly (in my opinion) so I heavily modified everything I didnt like,the chrome was the first thing to go.heres a couple of old pics of my two biz coupes. A Plymouth is never just a plymouth and this is coming from a true blue bow tie guy.LOL. keep us up dated. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whatcha got?

What version of photoshop do you have? I have a very serious book on photoshop seven it wouldnt cover all the new tools of a newer version but it would give you alot better understanding of how to use the program. Let me know what you have and ill let you know what i think would help you use it best.

Also just for everyones benefit I have nothing against plymouths I was just cracking a joke. I just wouldnt want to start a brand war...lol

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
well,Mr.T, I just got back from the tech school they have a coarse for me..printing/graphics technology.There is a book at the library on photo shop( wish it was photoshop for dummies)but it supposed to take you from the begining,I really need a book so I can read while tring out what I'm reading without going back and fouth on the computor,also I can print out instructions(well my wife can do it for me) but were out of black ink.all the books are great but I really need someone showing me(I'm a little thick headed) so the books will help till the course starts,but I'm sure in a day or two I'll have some questions for you but right now I dont want to seem like a TOTAL idiot. (I am but feel no need to prove it)I've already wore my wife out learning email ,copy and paste and resizing pictures.she has no more patience for me so I'm on my own here but I really want to learn this stuff.right now my biggest problem is taking a picture from my computor and putting it on the gimp program,i'm starting with gimp till I get a little comfortable I havet even popped in the photo shop yet but I wanted it just in case I got brave,so I'm off to the library,I'll be back Thanks for the responce its always nice to know someone will help if need be :welcome:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
honestly

I will tell you personally the best way to learn photoshop in my opinion is to look up a cool trick or look you want to do and try it. Most tutorials will walk you through it as if you have never touched the program with alot of pics of what you will actually see on your screen. You will absorb more if you are doing cool stuff that gets you hooked versus a book that wants you to draw a line, now erase, now do a curved line....thats so boring you forget half what you learned doing it. Try and tackle a whole project and you can incorporate several effects to one picture. If you have a pic of your car and you want to do it up find all the effects you would like to do and do it. Dont get overwhelmed thinking wow ive never done this cuz it will walk you through and its amazing how much you retain that way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.