Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new.

my name is alyssa, :welcome: im 18.. i took diesel in high school, so i know a little bit but not very much.
i drive a 88 k5 blazer. the guy i bought it off of put a 350 throttle body with a 4l60 in it.
i was driving to nh two weeks ago, and my drive shaft fell out because i ignored the fact that i need u-joints.
i put new u-joints and a new drive shaft in the same day, she was all set and driving great.
i drove to newport, ri [about 20 minutes from where i live] everything was fine. put about another 50 miles on it. made it just about to where i needed to go when i noticed the tranny was slipping. i add some tranny fluid, and my tranny started slamming into first, and was still slipping a little.
the next day i went to go to start up my truck, and my starter needed a wack, while i was under there i noticed a massive crack in my bellhousing from top to bottom. when i boaght it, it must of had a small crack, and got worse and worse.
moral of the story is i need a new transmission :( , ive been researching the 4l60 a little and trying to find a used one, which i cant. i can only find 700r4, which i know is the old 4l60 and is all mechanical.
but just to make sure, so ican get a clear answer from poeple who know their ****...

is it possible to put a 700r4 in place of the 4l60?????

heres me, my truck and what i do for fun..

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
The GM truck line was ONLY offered in 1988 with TBI, with the exception of commercial vehicles offered with carburetors on the 7.4 liter (454) engine.

Your K5 would have ONLY been offered with the TH-700R4/4l60, same thing different name, or the NVG-3500 if ordered specifically that way, and then I'm not sure this option was even available in the K5, too many people out there prefer automatics mainly because I believe they don't want to learn something new to them.

The 700R4 and 4L60 are the SAME transmission, the electronically shifted version (4L60E) came out in production vehicles as early as 1991 and was the only option in 1993 and later.

If you noticed a crack in the bellhousing area and that crack DOES NOT go farther back than the shoulder of the bellhousing into the main body of the transmission, there are 2 options.

1. Have the bellhousing cut off the transmission body and an Ultrabell installed IF they make one for the 700R4/4L60, which I am not even sure they do.

OR

2. Continue your search for either a good used 1987 or later 700R4/4L60 and have it rebuilt.

That's just my viewpoint on your dilemma, other than that, Welcome to Hotrodders.

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
You driving that blazer is quite awesome, first. Something we don't see everyday.

M&M pretty much nailed it. As for the crack, maybe you are missing the two support braces (round RODS) that run from the T-case to the cast torque converter cover. Or maybe you have a habit of running over hybrids or something... I dunno.

And what the hell is on fire?

Oh and welcome to Hotrodders!

·
Registered
761 Posts
alyssaridesktm said:
my name is alyssa, :welcome: im 18.. i took diesel in high school, so i know a little bit but not very much.

is it possible to put a 700r4 in place of the 4l60?????
ALL 700-R4 transmissions are 4L60 transmissions. Different names, same transmission. Just do not confuse either with the 4L60-E transmission which is a different beast and basically an electronically controlled 700-R4 but NOT interchangeable with the 700-R4.

Just call one of your local wrecking yards and they can tell you which years and which vehicles have transmissions that will fit your truck. You should have absolutely no problem finding a transmission that will fit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
the only way to put a 4l60e in place of the 700 is to have a stand alone controller or manual valve body you will need to get a 700r4 the 4l60e and the 700 are the same internal wise with a few updates but one is controlled hydraulically and the other is elctronic so again to have a 4l60e you would need to have a stand alone controller

·
Registered
23 Posts
For what its worth, an easy to get a feeling for the junk yard prices is to get online with www.lkq.com. They're basically a national wide junk yard. They have a parts locator. They will provide a list what they have, the make, model and year of the donor and the mileage on the tranny. You need to pick the location closest to you. I've got one 20 miles from me and I have had them deliver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.