Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm outside priming my new engine in my Caprice. I'm only getting an oil pressure reading of about 38lbs after running the drill for a couple minutes. I'm using a industrial Skill drill so drill speed shouldn't be an issue. I'm using a Crane Cams priming tool. There is still air in last 5 inches of line running into the oil pressure gauge, if that would even make any difference.

Is 38lbs enough to adequately oil this thing? I've read that you should have 60lbs and then turn the engine in 90 degree revolutions, letting the drill run for 3 minutes between each 90 degree turn. Is it safe to stick to that procedure with just 38lbs of pressure.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
The air should burp itself out, but compressing air may cause an inaccurate reading. All it means is that your oil pressure is a bit higher than its actually reading.

You'll be fine. As long as you're getting oil on the rockers on both sides and all through the system, let the motor break in and get up to temp, it will work these little issues out on its own-

K

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
you cant really tell much about the motor at this point, dude, or even during the break in. Make sure it has at least 10 lbs per 1000 RPM during the break-in. Drain oil, check filter, put oil and filter on/in drive car to op temp and then you can see what's going on with pressure-

K

·
Registered
977 Posts
You have air in the oil pressure line because your oil pressure gauge is a closed system. There is no place for the air to get out. After the engine has started and stopped several time you may see less air in the line but usually there will always be some air in it.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
drill

What does the tag say on the side of that drill for max rpm??? I am guessing if it's a heavy duty it probably only runs at 500/600 max.....

Keith

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
priming oil system

I wouldnt be too concerned about the pressure you are getting while priming the engine. I prime my engines with a speed wrench with a pump shaft welded into a socket.
What kind of line are you running?
what you might want to do is disconnect the line at the pump and put a can under it, prim just til you get the line full, then reinstall it.

I realize you have to have a special thing for priming your Chevy engine while I am mostly Fords. I have also converted over an old Chevy distributor to use as a primer as well.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
good luck ghetto, glad to hear your priming

just whats been said, about the rpms of the drill,and oil comming out of the rockers.

you went with the XE268 right? got to let me know how that works in your caprice.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
drill

I would find a drill that runs 1200 or so and try that for a few seconds ( so you don't burn it up) I think you will fine the another 10 lbs or with the pressure.

keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.