Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering If the driveshaft has to be shortened and what yoke is needed for the 9" ford third member that will connect to my 87 Camaro driveshaft, I have a selection to choose of different rear end ends for different disk brake kits for the Ford 9". What sets can I use. Thanks

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
it will depend on the particular yoke, I have done that swap and used the same driveshaft with a yoke that was considered the 'short' yoke, about 3.5-4" overall height.
You will have to go to a crossjoint ujoint to get from a Mech 3R to the Ford.

Use a aftermarket brake kit or the explorer stuff if it fits your housing.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
You can get a 9" rear with the proper setup to bolt back in as far as the torque arm is concerned - we have one in our '89 Camaro - I'll give a shout out to Quick Performance here. As to the driveshaft, if you plan on any heavy duty street or drag work, best to have a new one built. Take your trans yoke and put it in the trans, then pull it back until you can lay your index finger between the seal and the edge of the yoke, then measure from the center where the universal would be to the center of the pinion yoke where your universal would mount. That's your driveshaft length. And do this with the rear in the car, ready to go, preferably sitting on it's tires.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,645 Posts
sell your rear axle w/ torque arm to a 55-59 chevy truck guy, it's a perfect fit
58 truk uses an 86 trans am posi, w/ disk brakes, 3.27 gear sway bar and the torque arm
i believe it is a borg warner 9 bolt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.