Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 rolling tool boxes and two small carry boxes full of tools but I can never fine anything when I need it...so I'm sorting the tools and putting the sockets on a metal strip in descending order to know whats what and where it is. What method do you use to keep your tools sorted and separate so you can find something when your looking for it?? I'm thinking about making one box strictly metric and the other two standard and split the screw drivers and hammers between the three boxes.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
What method do you use to keep your tools sorted and separate so you can find something when your looking for it??
About 6 beers and a few hours time to put everything away:D I don't have three boxes but I put all metrics in one area, all standards in another (drawers) screwdrivers by theirselves, nutrunners in another drawer, all ratchets with their respective drive sockets. I just made a gadget to hold my air tools out of a piece of aluminum angle (thanks to the "What did you make" thread and not sure who did it right off) that I hung on the wall. I'm not one for hanging too many things on the walls but am having to do so because of space. I think the biggest thing to do is once you get everything organized, FORCE yourself to take a few minutes at the end of the day to put things back in their respective place. After you do it for awhile it will become habit.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
I keep flat screwdrivers in one drawer, phillips in another, nutdrivers and torqs, metric sockets and wrenches, standard 3/8 sockets, 1/2 in. drive and air sockets, standard wrenches and adjustable wrenches all in their seperate drawers. Metric wrenches and sockets go in one drawer, I don't have many of them, I try not to work on ferrin stuff. :D Dan

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've got 2 roll-aways with top boxes and then I put my lawn care tools in one take along box. I've got all three drive size ratchets in separate drawers and then 1/2 inch drive SAE, then 1/2 metric, then tappet, flare, and open end wrenches, then my speeder handles, breaker bars and extensions, and finally all my 3/8 and 1/4 drive sockets on the socket racks. Screwdrivers are sorted into two drawers, nutrivers into one, Allen wrenches into one. All the most used stuff is waist height or higher. Experiment a little to see what works best for you. I'm already planning on a bigger box (or 2).

If all else fails, ship the extras to us!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
tm454 said:
I have 3 rolling tool boxes ... I'm thinking about making one box strictly metric and the other two standard and split the screw drivers and hammers between the three boxes.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
dang. i have one drawer for metric and one drawer for standard.
lol.:thumbup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a little craftsman 5 drawer bottom cabinet and a craftsman 3 drawer carrying box, me being just starting out with tools I pretty much try and keep my screw drivers in one drawer, wrenches in another, sockets in another, speciality stuff in another. etc. That may all change now that I got the tool list I have to come up with for next semester when I start school :pain:

·
Registered
24 Posts
dinger said:
Metric wrenches and sockets go in one drawer, I don't have many of them, I try not to work on ferrin stuff. :D Dan
Try telling Mr Goodwrench that. I have an 87 Monte Carlo SS that can be 90% disassembled with 10, 13 and 15mm sockets. The other 10% requires 17 & 18mm sockets and a hammer :D

I've got one drawer for Metric wrenches, one for standard wrenches, one for screwdrivers, one for hammers, one for pliers, one for pry bars, one for misc tools like brake pad spreaders and such, one for air tools, one for sockets/ratchets, one for the dremel, one for electrical probes/crimpers and such, and one completely full of zip ties because you can never have too many.

The power tools each have their own hooks on the walls, as do the shop lights, extension cords, creeper and every other miscellaneous item I wanted to get off the floor (it was horrible before my wife and I organized it). The only things I can't really hang up are the welders, torch/tanks, shop vac and some of the larger car parts I have leaning against the wall right now.

·
The Big Money
383 Posts
I sort mine as follows

1 drawer for screwdrivers
1 drawer for metric wrenches
1 drawer for imperial wrenches
2 drawers for pliers
1 drawer for ratchets and extensions
1 drawer for adjustable wrenches, chisels, oil filter wrench
1 drawer for torque wrenches, mics, feeler guages
1 drawer for air tools
1 drawer for timing lights
1 drawer for drill, coil spring compressors, wire
1 drawer for brake tools
1 drawer for impact sockets, pry bars
1 drawer for cooling system tools
1 drawer for tap and dies
1 drawer for drill bits
1 drawer for files
1 drawer for compression guage and vacuum gauges
1 drawer for cutting tools
1 drawer for pullers

and the list goes on

I keep my sockets on the top box where I open the lid

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
Canadian Charlie said:
I sort mine as follows

1 drawer for screwdrivers
1 drawer for metric wrenches
1 drawer for imperial wrenches
2 drawers for pliers
1 drawer for ratchets and extensions
1 drawer for adjustable wrenches, chisels, oil filter wrench
1 drawer for torque wrenches, mics, feeler guages
1 drawer for air tools
1 drawer for timing lights
1 drawer for drill, coil spring compressors, wire
1 drawer for brake tools
1 drawer for impact sockets, pry bars
1 drawer for cooling system tools
1 drawer for tap and dies
1 drawer for drill bits
1 drawer for files
1 drawer for compression guage and vacuum gauges
1 drawer for cutting tools
1 drawer for pullers

and the list goes on

I keep my sockets on the top box where I open the lid

I use pretty much the same, except I split my ratchets/extentions up by drive size. I have a deep drawer for all my chrome sockets, and keep 'em organized on socket trays. They are way cool, have the sokets slid down over spikes that have the size embossed on the top. One tray for each drive size in SAE, One for each in Metric. Each tray holds both shallow and deep sockets. This is the only pic I could find online.

http://www.hansenglobalinc.com/socket_trays.html

·
The Big Money
383 Posts
Those socket holders are worth it. I have 2 of them for my impact sockets, they do take up a little more room but if you got the biggest tool box Snap On has to offer its worth it.

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
Ya, I used to use those rails, but used the trays once, and was hooked. I'd have my impact stuff on them too, but I'm running out of space in my box....time for another one.:D They aren't really expensive, either. Even from Snap On, they are like $20.00CAD. House of tools carries them, same price. As organization goes, they are the best investment in my toolbox. I just found out that you can get trays for hex and torx bits too. I'm not quite sure how they work, though, no close up pics.

Nevermind, I see the pics on the same site that I posted for the socket trays. :embarrass

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
I still haven't found the "Ultimate" socket organizer yet, but when I do....

The best so far , IMO, is the metal ones with the clips.
The sockets slip out of the magnetic ones...
The sockets can't be "bulk carried" in the plastic ones without breaking or falling apart...and they pop out of the Craftsman gray socket tray when you "close the drawer to quick" (slam).

I end up grabbing the rack and a ratchet/extension, so I make less trips. Easier to keep a socket from rolling under the car.

I have 2 boxes , side x side, all labeled with contents for the garage (Sleds, wheelers,mowers,etc.), and one similar setup in the polebarn (Car mainly)

There is a drawer for each:
Picks/Scrapers/knives
Alen Wrenches
Pens/Marking
Chisels/Punches
Measuring tools (tape, dial caliper)
Straight blade
Phillips/torx
SAE Wrenches
Metric Wrenches
SAE Sockets
Metric Sockets
Rachets/Extensions
Hammers and prybars (my fav. drawer)
Pliers (all types)
Air tools
Electric Tools (4" grinders, nibblers, etc.)
Car specific tools like timing light, leakage gauge,etc.

I have been accused of being a tool junkie.....

·
The Big Money
383 Posts
Nothing wrong with being a tool junkie, I am. It just gets bad when the wife's, and kids birthdays, Christmas, Easter rolls around and you get them tools.

I already e mailed Snap On to get the wife and 2 kids (6 and 4 years old) thier gifts

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Hmmpft !! :D

I just picked up a socket set for my 10 y/o nephew !!

Looked at the "starter" sets that they have for toddlers for my other nephew. Wife seemed to think "tools" were the wrong gift for a newborn. I disagree......

Bought the wife "tools" for christmas. She even helped pick them out Saturday! I got her one of those fancy glass cutters. Doesn't work that great, but sure sparkles alot. Some girls call them diamonds, or something like that....
It was time to update/replace the 20 year old engagement ring. Diamonds ARE a GUYS best friend. I could hardly walk yesterday morning! :pimp: Yeah, baby ! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.