Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while i was removing crank/pistons etc.. i ended up breaking off my dipstick on the top of the block.. the bottom part is still intact.. what do i need to do to fix it? i've never heard of it happening before.. DoH!

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
When you say dipstick.Are you refering to the tube?Or are you refering to the tip of the stick itself came off the rest of the stick? Either way,get a good set of needle nose pliers and remove it.The tube is pressed in,get a good bite on it and twist it out.Same with the stick,if you can not see the stick and the tube is there,remove the tube and grab the stick.

The tube broke off and on the inside of the block is the left over parts correct?Take a 3/8 extension and put the flat against the tube,tap it out when the extension hits the casing ,just get some pliers and pull the remainder out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Believe it or not I broke the dipstick tube off of the engine in the Project car while installing the headers. I bent it a bit to much to get the header in place and it snapped right off flush with the Block. After a lot of self abuse I finally figured out how to get it out without removing the engine and dropping the pan.

I first of all took a pice of shop towel and pushed it in the hole.

Then I found a metric tap that was just the right size to tap the inside of the tube without breaking through.

After tapping the inside of the tube I welded a bolt that threaded into the dipstick onto a piece of threaded rod.

Then I put piece of bar stock with a hole in it over the threaded rod and put a nut and washer on behind it. (alla slide hammer)

gave it a couple of taps with the home made slide hammer and out she came.

Pulled the shop towel along with the cuttings out with needle nose pliers and I was back to the races.

Ric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.