Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here and new to air tools. I am planning on buying a air gun but would like to know if they can be adjusted for different torque settings. What brands would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
CP (Chicago Pneumatic), some of the Snap On brand of air tools are CP as well. Everything else I have tried either doesn't last long or has low torque, CP rules in the air tool industry.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
notajr88fan said:
would like to know if they can be adjusted for different torque settings. What brands would you recommend?
Yes, the air can be adjusted on them, the dials differ, but all do the same thing.

EDIT- I want to add that the settings are not exact- and the settings will also vary as the compressor tank air pressure varies.

The Ingersoll Rand #231 and the Chicago Pneumatic #731-2 (in the MAC cover) are the same tool. They are decent tools.

In the 3/8" drive guns, the little Husky isn't bad, but I find myself reaching for the Matco more often than not.

The 1/2" Blue Point is at the top for a reason. That tool and I have been together for a long time, it has never needed anything except oiled. I like the dial on the back OK, but the CP/IR tools can be reversed one-handed; the reverser (slides back and forth to change direction) and speed control (turn to change speed) is the knob on the back of the tool. ;)

The p os on the bottom is also there for a reason. It represents the flood of Chinese (Taiwan) crap that has inundated the US for the last couple decades. It's a "use it till it breaks, then throw away" $20.00 tool. It adjusts speed w/a dial on the bottom of the handle, direction changes are made by sliding the button on the back of the tool in or out. Same deal w/the 3/8" tools shown, although other controls are fitted to different brands.

Other air tools you will want to look into are a couple air ratchets, and a good butterfly wrench to start with. Tools not equipped w/an adjustment can be easily fitted w/an adjustable valve- they screw into the air inlet port.

If you were to go w/CP you should be fine, IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
air gun

ingersol thunder gun is my favorite by far,lot's of power when you want it and can be turned down quite low,it's a versitile gun with two hammers in a tuff housing that will give you years of dependable use,as a mechanic of 30 years this is still in my box .would'nt be with out one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.