Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 3 qts of black imron plus 1 qt. of activator, 1 gallon sprayable cover a 1992 chev 1500 ext, cab pick up?

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
With it being an extended cab you might run short. Especially if you have to jamb the truck.
Imron is some nasty stuff. Do you have a fresh air respiration system?

Kevin

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Yes, but close, assuming you don't 'lose' any.

But why not use something cheaper and much less dangerous to your respiratory system like DuPont's Centari or Southern Polyurethanes black or even NAPA's Martin Senour. All are more appropriate and safer.

·
The Penny Pincher
1,942 Posts
Imron is just a trade name brand of single stage polyurethane,
like so many others on the market,
It's no more dangerous then most of the urethane clears that everybody
uses over basecoats.
It's much better than an enamel and isn't much more expensive.
It almost makes enamel obsolete.
I've had some not cover very well, I think you need more than a
gallon for a truck. :pimp:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Imron "IS" cheap! Why does everyone think it's such nasty stuff?? It's no better or worse than Centari, Clear, or even primer. They all use isocyanates in the hardener, and that's the stuff that is nasty. I do agree that if I was going to paint a cheap vehicle I would use Centari over Imron. Imron is very "pissy" and wont lay as nice as Centari with the performance pak. Dan

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
hemi43 said:
Imron "IS" cheap! Why does everyone think it's such nasty stuff?? It's no better or worse than Centari, Clear, or even primer. They all use isocyanates in the hardener, and that's the stuff that is nasty. I do agree that if I was going to paint a cheap vehicle I would use Centari over Imron. Imron is very "pissy" and wont lay as nice as Centari with the performance pak. Dan

IMHO :) :
First of all, Imron is nasty from personal experience and a trip to the hospital e-room. I replaced my respirator after that problem !! This was 20 plus years ago(1985)

Secondly, you DO NOT need hardener with Centari - only 8022S reducer. Hardener is an option.

Third, Imron is a fair amount more expensive than Centari.

Lastly, Imron lays nicely - at least black - which I found out after my hospital trip and saw my results.

·
The Penny Pincher
1,942 Posts
I like the polyurethan single stage myself.
It hardens like a rock in 24 hrs. (unlike enamel) and buffs.
I sprayed my aluminum boat with it and it is super durable,
really hard to scratch off. (I hit a lot of rocks)
I had acrylic enamel on my boat the first time,
it is night and day difference in durability now with the polyurethane.
Toughest paint I've ever seen.
And a gallon of it with activator was under $100.00, any color.
It wasn't Imron, it was an off-brand, but I will never use
enamel again. So much better. :pimp:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think you'll be close with the 3/4 fill gallon. It is more difficult but you will get it to lay flat with proper gun adjustment and reduction. SSU is not as safe as enamel but it is more durable and no more dangerous than urethane primers and clears. It's been 15 years since I've sprayed that particular brand of SSU but I remember buffing it was nightmarish. At least back then it was too hard for my taste but they may have made changes since then. In any event, it's an extremely durable paint.

FYI, Centari and Imron are series names under the DuPont brand name. They both contain more than one type of paint. In other words Imron isn't just SSU and Centari ins't just acrylic enamel.

Larry

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
A lot of the "wives tales" about Imron being so dangerous and so durable stem from the Imron of old. The old DuPont Imron was some very nasty stuff and was incredibly durable. The new Iron is nothing like it's namesake. Currently it is no more dangerous than any two part catalyzed paint and it is not near as durable as the old Imron. Which isn't saying you should not protect yourself when using it as you would any catalyzed paint.

Vince

·
The Penny Pincher
1,942 Posts
Very true.
The "old" Imron was used on aircraft and DuPont used that to brag
about their durablilty. It only came in a few colors and was one
of the first polyurethanes that the auto industry saw.
It's become a trade name for poly, kinda like Kleenex for tissues.
But now most all paint makers sell it and in a bunch of different colors,
even factory ones. It's a durable product and can be clear coated with
normal urethane clear. It's not necessary, but makes buffing
some of the more difficult metallic colors a lot easier.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now to my daily driver.
Polyurethane single stage with urethane clear.
It's cheaper than regular base and easier to fix
than regular enamel. :pimp:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts