Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to look into and price out what it would cost to make a engine that can push out around 1000hp. i don't know what all it would take to do this and am looking for advice and build specifics on how to go about this. the things that i am leaning for is a supercharged 454 big block that can give the 1000hp without nitros and on pump 91 octane gas. the engine would go into more of a race/ street car not a track only car. I would also like to know peoples opinions on the enderle injector assembly and how one would go about one of those or if there is a better option (i like the look of the enderle covers that's why i mention it) what is the difference between enderle birdcatcher, bugblown and buzzardcatcher?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm a blower guy, but for 1000 HP and streetable, I would do twin turbo... I have a buddy that built a twin turbo 383 that put out 1100 HP and was a ***** cat to drive on the street.

Keith

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I'm a blower guy, but for 1000 HP and streetable, I would do twin turbo... I have a buddy that built a twin turbo 383 that put out 1100 HP and was a ***** cat to drive on the street.

Keith
X2. Streetable and 1000 HP is going to take turbo(s) if what you consider streetable is the same as what I call streetable.

Also, it might take a tad bit of dough:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
I am wanting to look into and price out what it would cost to make a engine that can push out around 1000hp. i don't know what all it would take to do this and am looking for advice and build specifics on how to go about this. the things that i am leaning for is a supercharged 454 big block that can give the 1000hp without nitros and on pump 91 octane gas. the engine would go into more of a race/ street car not a track only car. I would also like to know peoples opinions on the enderle injector assembly and how one would go about one of those or if there is a better option (i like the look of the enderle covers that's why i mention it) what is the difference between enderle birdcatcher, bugblown and buzzardcatcher?
Dare to dream grasshopper, dare to dream!!

:welcome::welcome:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
currently i am just looking into what it would take to do this and how to do it without screwing up numerous times. and yes i am dreaming big haha go big or go home. it would go into a chevelle ss when the time comes or into a nova. i already knew it would be big bucks and one hell of a pretty pennie. if possible i would like to keep it a supercharged engine, so along those lines what type of horsepower should i expect. if it needs to be turbos for 1000hp then that will be the route i take.

·
Registered
221 Posts
1000hp (at wheels?) on pump gas on a 454?

First off ; chasing a number isn't always reasonable. Usually this is someone that only wants bragging rights to say you have over 1000hp. Also many times it is someone that hasn't ever driven something with this amount of power or close to it. IOW - why 1000 and not 940 or 890 or....well you get the idea.

As others have mentioned, to effectively (and realistically) use that power there is much more to do than just the engine. And for many car guys it isn't all about the HP number either. There are lots of other factors to consider too. HP doesn't always mean the fastest or quickest.

First thing is to identify your budget. Realistically. Some people are not constrained by a budget but most people are. If you sink a majority of your budget into the engine chasing a HP number then the car will not get done or it will come apart if you ever try to use that much hp.

So figure out the budget you have is the usual first step in a serious build of this kind.

If you're building this to track too then there is safety equipment and track req'ts to consider as well and adds to the cost and build plans.

So consider the entire project and not just the engine. Get a realistic layout of the build in it's entirely. I always use a excel spreadsheet on a new build and you have to include ALL the things you will need as the little things can add up to a lot. Get a little help from some people that have done such a build a few times and they can help your planning. Planning and help from an experienced builder(s) is what will help you prevent mistakes like you mentioned you wanted to do.

First step is: ID budget and spreadsheet overall plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts