Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have a 4l85 Trans going in my 69 Camaro. I want to install an Auto Meter temp sensor in the pan to keep an eye on the temps. My haeaders run kind of close to the trans. Can someone tell me where there is room in the pan to install the sensor. I want to have the Hughs shallow pan powder coated after I drill it for the sensor. The trans is from my Connect and cruise LSA/4l85 kit. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
13,921 Posts
Install it in the line leading to the cooler.
That will scare the #### out of you.
Fist time I did that, what can I say you haven't, I'm still laughing but know I shouldn't. Once you realize that McDonalds could cook French fries in the oil coming off the pump, it wipes the grin off you face replacing it with terror.

Bogie

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would recommend putting it into the pan directly-not into one of the test ports. This will give a better real world temp reading. A test port will have very low flow past that point as it essentially is a dead end.

Also, I would recommend against powder coating your pan. The pan is a great surface area for dissipating internal heat. The air passing under the vehicle across the surface of the pan IS helping to cool your trans. If you do a before powder coating, and then after powder coating, test I'm willing to bet you will see at least a 10-15 degree HIGHER temp with the pan coated. Possibly even higher. Same with running braided stainless line, try not to do it. It holds the heat in. Your factory steel cooler lines add to the total over all surface area of transmission cooling. Braided line takes that extra surface area away.

I run a thermostatically controlled fan directly mounted to a transmission cooler mounted under the bed of my truck. The motor only produces 400 HP but I want to keep the trans alive. My temp gauge rarely gets over 180 and that's just what I want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, now I'm on the fence about powder coating it. I was wondering about it holding heat. I ended up putting the sensor in the pan its self.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts