Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so my buddy who has a newer grand am hit the ditch tonight. Calls up a whole bunch of us to pull him outta the snow. I told him to hook up the tow strap the other guy brought in his truck. Since my buddy is an idiot I was the one who had to hook it up, the only place I could hook up to that was remotely solid was the trailing arm.

So anyhow I tell buddy to pull him out carefully. This guy has a desiel truck in 4x4 and he slams on the pedal, yanking the car and the 2 take off. Then my buddy in the car slams on the brakes yanking on the trailing arm again. Finally his front end comes swinging out of the ditch and he slams on the brakes again, yanking on the trailing arm a third time.

Now buddys car is unstuck but his left rear wheel look like it has independant steering. I get under the car thinking oh **** should I have hooked it there and look at the trailing arm, it isn't the toughest thing but it isn't weak either (after all it does help hold the wheel on)

So was I the stupid one or was it the other 2? Honestly I think the thing would have been fine if the car was pulled out gently instead of being ripped out.

My buddy isn't blaming me, I don't think he will, but apparently he has been drinking tonight (didn't know this till after I "helped" him out)

Oh and one more thing despite everyone telling him not to drive the thing home he drove it home dog tracking and all so I'm not sure what more damage he has done.

I am just needing to put my conscious at rest here wondering if I messed up putting the tow strap where I did.

On the plus side I'm sick of bailing this buddy out, maybe next time he won't call me now.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
You all sound like idiots to me..........But, I am old, and have never done anything that stupid..................................Well, the was that time..................never mind.

You have bent osmething under there. Jack it up and have a look...should be pretty obvious.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
He's damn lucky the law didn't come by while he was in the ditch and he is doubly lucky he has friends who would come and pull it out for him as you guys did before the law stumbled upon it... :rolleyes:

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
hooking on the trailing arm ... mildly bad

hammering the gas - retarded

slamming on the brakes - retarded (because one trailing arm is only supposed to take the braking forces of one wheel, not 4)

the fact that your buddy had been drinking ... most retarded of all

so order of fault goes:

ditch guy
truck guy
tow strap operator

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
I made myself a rule a long time ago................I never hook the chain on another persons vehicle.

·
933 Posts
so true

im also never the one that checks all bolts for tightness when doing work on someone elses car ... thats the owners job ...

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
lowROLLERchevy said:
so true

im also never the one that checks all bolts for tightness when doing work on someone elses car ... thats the owners job ...
If you cant check your own work ......You shouldn't be doing it.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
lowROLLERchevy said:
so true

So...I guess this means that you will never be a Tech then. :D

·
933 Posts
lol

well ok, that only applies to the freebie jobs i constantly wind up doing for friends, with them standing there watching and WANTING to do something

i always put them to work checking bolts while im under the car hammering / cutting / grinding / welding / fighting the next piece

like the exhaust on Tims formula ... most misaligned garbage ever sold, took me 4 hours to fight the Y pipe onto the headers. clamps became Tims job while i had a smoke

Spark plugs on the same car, i did the pass side, Tim did the drivers side, he asked me to check his and i said "nope, this car screws me every time, im not gonna eb the last one to touch them" lol

and that car DOES screw me every time ... nothing ever goes easy on 4th generation firebirds / camaros

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
lowROLLERchevy said:
hooking on the trailing arm ... mildly bad

hammering the gas - retarded

slamming on the brakes - retarded (because one trailing arm is only supposed to take the braking forces of one wheel, not 4)

the fact that your buddy had been drinking ... most retarded of all

so order of fault goes:

ditch guy
truck guy
tow strap operator
AMEN! :thumbup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Henry Highrise said:
I made myself a rule a long time ago................I never hook the chain on another persons vehicle.

Yeah I told him he is doing it, but he whined and cried about having to lay in the snow and told me he couldn't find anything to attach it to.

I shoulda just left him there... next time I think thats whats going to happen.

Oh and kevin there was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6 of us. He was in the ditch buried and called out 3 vehicals to help him telling each of us that we are the only people he could get to come out and that his car could be pushed out.

Oh well it makes for a good laugh since I'm sure as hell not paying for the damage.

Oh and btw if you pull out one of these grand ams from the rear ever, the trailing arm is the only spot for a tow strap. Make sure you have a chain and hook it into the unibody. (or the muffler if ugly loud exhaust is your thing)

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
This is reminding me of the youtube clip that I saw, pulling the whole backend off a car in a snowbank.....cant find it right now.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
I'm gonna be nice....I won't say what it reminds me of.....Lmao :D

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Henry Highrise said:
my dad follows that rule also, well he did when he had a truck he drove in the winter and pulled people out of ditches, now that he just has his '72 C10, all he pulls is the boat

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
matt167 said:
my dad follows that rule also, well he did when he had a truck he drove in the winter and pulled people out of ditches, now that he just has his '72 C10, all he pulls is the boat
You have a very wise Dad. ;)

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
It was apparently dark from the time you indicate it occuring. I may be the only one to think it...but if he was stuck that bad, was drunk..that much.. it is possible that the trailing arm was bent on the trip into the ditch and not the one out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts