Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a Compaq Presario with an AMD Sempron, 40GB hard drive, and 256mb of ram.

How would I transfer info from my old computer's hard drive (10 GB) to the new one? (games, pictures, nice new mustang screensavers) I took A+ certification classes in high school and so I'm fairly knowledgeable with the hardware aspect of things. I'd also like to use that 10Gb hard drive as a "slave" (secondary) drive also. How would I remove windows XP off the 10Gb?

Any help would be appreciated. I have about a million (really about 2000, maybe 2500) pics of cars, fuel altereds, and school stuff on it, so it's a lot of stuff to go and re-do.
thanks,
matty

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your Question really delagates your answer...

If you gonna use you old HD as a secondery/slave drive you'll be a to copy all the files on that old HD to you new 40gigHD just dont copy over any windows files. You'll really just want Program Files, Documents, Pics, Shared Folder/Files, Etc.

good luck,
Stroke

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stroke, thanks for the Godspeed and "use common sense matt" help.

I hooked the 10gig as a slave drive to another PC not on the internet, and it wouldn't work as a slave drive. I think it has someting to do with dip switches (real little switches on motherboard) or something in the BIOS (the gibberish that comes on the computer when booting up before it says "broken windows 98 is loading")

xp has only frozen up on me 1 or 2 times before the old computer died (I have a thread on it, it's going to be victim to a bernz-o-matic torch), so it's much more reliable than 95 and 98.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Yep, you have to set the bios to recognize a second drive. Are they connected to the same 80 pin cable? Which one is connected to the last connector on the cable? That one should be the master, the middle connector is for the slave.

You did set the jumpers on the drive correctly right?

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I put the old hard drive in my new computer I set the jumpers right and it was all great. I transferred the information, and reformatted the old hard drive.:)

thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
:)

·
Now if I could just afford Gas
75 Posts
STOP!!! Listen, all you have to do is install the new hard drive in you old system as a slave. Search Google for the software "disk clone". I can not remember the exact site but there is a 30 trial version you can download for free. Install it on the old system and it will copy your operating system and everything to your new drive. Take the new drive out old the old system and re-install it into your new system and BAM! Your done!!! No installing the os BUT it will want to run the device wizard and install the new drives for your motherboard and expansion cards but thats not biggie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts