Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking of using an inline 6 for a custom build but have had no luck in finding pictures of any 6 nicely dressed up. I would appreciate anyone posting a picture of their engine if they think it looks good along with their experiences and thoughts on the pros and cons of the inline versus the usual V8's, apart from the obvious HP advantage the V8 has. thanks.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
It will harder to make the horsepower as parts for the inline 6 are less readily available. They are usual custom and cost more.
I don't think there is a big market for dress up parts but I have seen them personally on an old pickup. The guy had some of the old parts chromed and painted everything else. It looked clean. He also put on some of those steel braided hoses.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I saw an Argentine car club in a magazine, and virtually all their cars were inline 6's, some highly modified. Might google Argentina, etc., & see what comes up.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hello.
Try www.inlers.org and www.cliffordperformance.com.

I think those are the names of the sites. Clifford makes cams, intakes, headers, ect... As far as dress up goes, nice breathers, valve covers, hidden wiring, braided hoses, ect... can be had for any motor.

As far as advantages goes. Less weight, easier to work on,easier to change plugs, the difference factor.

I say go 4 it. HG :thumbup:

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
http://www.inliners.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi here ya go for the inliners forums... theres plenty of pics in the hi performance section... the brazilians seem to have good a handle on the inlines, as where ive read theyve been pushing 1000hp from some of their turbo powered chevy inlines in drag racing (mostly 250/292) and they look beautiful.... i have an inline in my ventura with a 500 cfm edelbrock performer and run a 700r4 trans (but no where near what ur looking for pic wise lol), it doesnt lay down any real performance (2.54 highway gears), but it is fun to drive and gets over 20 mpg on the freeway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Parts for many inline engines are no harder to find than parts for a SBC. Especially if you stick with the main power producers chevy 250/292 or ford 240/300, cant forget the 2.3.

Even though Im a blueoval fan, the new vortec 4200 I-6 is a nice engine. The stock engine responds well to boost. It makes nice numbers in stock form too.

With some thought, inline engines can make more power than most people can handle.

If your interested in ford inline engines, check this place out. The dude running the site is so passionate about the inline engines, hes went to the trouble of designing an aluminum head for them, one has been produced and is in the testing phase.

http://www.fordsix.com/forum

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
357f-150 said:
Parts for many inline engines are no harder to find than parts for a SBC. Especially if you stick with the main power producers chevy 250/292 or ford 240/300, cant forget the 2.3.

Even though Im a blueoval fan, the new vortec 4200 I-6 is a nice engine. The stock engine responds well to boost. It makes nice numbers in stock form too.

With some thought, inline engines can make more power than most people can handle.

If your interested in ford inline engines, check this place out. The dude running the site is so passionate about the inline engines, hes went to the trouble of designing an aluminum head for them, one has been produced and is in the testing phase.

http://www.fordsix.com/forum
Mike ( AZcoupe, owner of Fordsix/ Classicinlines ) originally had 1 prototype head built, but had a few more built, and sent out to a few select members of Ford Six forums only 1 engine that I know of is running right now, with the alloy head installed, which is in Kelly Mclearens 1963 Ford Falcon, with the turbocharged 250, that managed to run 11.85 in the 1/4 with a factory US Log head ( low flowing ). the heads will sell for about $1,500 assembled.

I just purchased a little over $1k in parts for my Turbocharged 200 engine build, bought a couple parts only he can get, because he has them sent from Australlia ( Yella Terra Full Roller rockers, and a JP performance dual roller timing chain ). he's a great guy to deal with.

here's some high performance Ford Small I6's

2005 Ford Six Performance Parts SEMA Display Engine

250 CI engine, Turbocharged/ Fuel Injected, sporting the New Alloy head, untested but should put out 500 HP

Kelly Mclearans 250 CI Turbocharged, was putting out 446 HP W/ OZ250 ( now running alloy ) head but this is with the Log head/ factory valve cover

1 - 8 of 8 Posts