Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey thanks in advance to anyone who answers. What can one learn about the condition of an engine when using one of those hand held video stiks? I guess more specifically, what should I be looking for when looking in the spark plug holes with a 36" fiber optic video camera, in a 454 bbc 0.030 over with, supposedly, 120 passes (1/8 mile) since rebuild? Also, is there any other part of the engine I could or should use the video stik to inspect? I am considering buying this engine, just want to know as much as I can before I put it in my camaro!
Thank You Much

Attachments

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have used a Snap On stick on these. Check for carbon pattern on tops of pistons and the valve faces. Check for any marks on cylinder walls. Walls should be uniformly shiny with NO black streaks or scratches.

Difficult to inspect lower end thru drain plug. Main caps and oil pump get in the way. Oil gets on lens. Check rods for dark coloration. Heat marks

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
The center of piston top will show grey carbon, diminishing outward to the edge. Patterns should be the same cyl to cyl. The intake valve will have light deposits on face. Exhaust will light brown-grey and even across face. Chambers should show even color except on quench area.(flat part) This should have very little color.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.