Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed all the glass from my truck cab. The rear glass had rubber only, no sealer. I'm thinking it will be a piece of cake to reinstall myself.

The windsheild seal on the other hand had an adhesive between the rubber and cab sheetmetal. Is this typical on a windscreen? Should I attempt to install the new one, or leave it to the pros?

Thanks

Gear

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
It's not a job for just one person. Had my wife and daughter-in-law help me put the glass in my '53 Chevy PU and it was a bit of a job. If I had it to do over again I'd purchase the rubber and glass and then take it to a glass shop for installation. Did that with my '41 coupe. For me the stress and work of home glass installation isn't worth it, at least for the big glass. Side windows aren't that big a deal. If memory serves I think it only cost me a hundred bucks or so to have the back window and windshield installed and IMHO that was money well spent.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I had a windshield put in my 91 ford truck.The guy came out to my house.He had an attachment on a sawzall to cut the old one out.He even had a cordless silicon gun.I don,t think he was here over 20 minutes and had it done.When it,s time for my 54 to get a windshield.I am going to have the same place do it.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
if you crack a windshield putting it in, you have to buy a new 1, but if a company cracks 1, they just get you another, as long as it is there glass.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
I put my own in, but they both had the rubber seal around them....You use the string in the groove trick. It was a nervous time however, especially on the Pontiac...That is one large, curvy windshield.

On the windshields with the sealer mount, I would get a shop to do it.....just for the leak factor. If it leaks, they will do it again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah, well, I took my 62, Chevy, 3/4 ton to glass shop with a nice, used, wraparound windshield that I paid $65.00 for. They said that they could install it for $45.00 but couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't crack it. I agreed and sure enough, they cracked it. They ordered a new one and basically sold it to me at cost and installed it correctly this time.

The major problem with the first windshield was that they didn't use any lubricant so the rubber was really sticky and the windshield wouldn't slip into place. They kept pounding on it till it cracked. PISSED ME RIGHT OFF! So on the new windshield, I stopped by a local tire store and they gave me a fistfull of gel Murphy's Oil Soap, which they use to mount tires on rims. I told the IDIOTS at the glass shop to use it for the installation and the windshield slid right in, no problem.

Why do I have to think of this stuff? THEY are supposed to be the "experts".

·
Crazier By The Minute
113 Posts
mobile guys

We even have the mobile glass guys here in the sticks. Others will come by and change your oil/lube, do brake jobs,minor repairs and detailing out of an enclosed trailer pulled behind their vehicle. Bud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts