Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is not very old; hope no one minds if we add to it.

After we hammered in the new u-joint and put the clips in, it was moving freely up and down but pretty stiffly from left to right. The guy with the tools said it would loosen up over time. Now the driver complains that the vehicle feels like its pulling to the left or right like it needs an alignment.

What would be the symptoms of driving with a tight u joint?

·
More for Less Racer
19,342 Posts
This thread is not very old; hope no one minds if we add to it.

After we hammered in the new u-joint and put the clips in, it was moving freely up and down but pretty stiffly from left to right. The guy with the tools said it would loosen up over time. Now the driver complains that the vehicle feels like its pulling to the left or right like it needs an alignment.

What would be the symptoms of driving with a tight u joint?
NO! Not in a transmission to rear axle shaft.

Might, and I say might, in a half shaft from an independent front or rear axle set-up like a Corvette, Jaguar, the 2005-ish GTO, new Camaro, etc or a 4X4 truck front independent.

·
Global Moderator
9,746 Posts
Lurice0 : you added your new question to an old thread.

Bad forum etiquette

I moved your new questions, to a new thread.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,389 Posts
u-joint

I've gotten the clips in with a needle in end of one cup... the yoke will flex enough to allow that... but the shaft vibrated... taking it back out and looking at it closely, I could see the U-joint wasn't perfectly centered... the space from yoke sides to u-joint wasn't exactly the same on both sides...

I just ignore a little tightness if the U-joint is perfectly centered... doesn't hurt anything... the joint doesn't bend that much most of the time and it will soon seat in...

I've never done a U-joint with a hammer... I guess I was fortunate that my Dad had a big vise... and now I have one also... plus I just bought the 20 ton shop press on sale for $149 w/ coupon at HF today... lowest price I've ever seen on it... Now I just need to pick up the 2 ton foldable cherry picker on sale to replace my nonfolding one so I have more room in the garage... sell the old one... then I'll have about everything I figure I needed... except maybe a bending brake... body rotisserie... then just need to get my lazy butt out and do more work on my projects before winter sets in... LOL!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed a U-Joint, now vehicle is pulling toward the center of road.

its a 94 jeep cherokee xj but i'm posting here because this site was talking about tight u-joints before i guess... Anyway, Jeep started vibrating and installed new passenger u-joint and vibration went away.. then came back.

so I replaced the drivers side u-joint and vibration went away, however jeep is pulling to center, otherwise everything is fine.

When I was replacing that driver's side U-Joint, I got help to hammer the old u-joint out, because i didn't have a vise. We made sure no needle bearings fell in, but those inside clips went in really tight into their groove on one end of U-joint, so that it was somewhat hard to move DS axle up and down (but i'm 135 lbs and haven't been in gym lately)... U-Joint still moved really easily in the other left to right direction.

The difficulty we had getting the clip in i believe was due to possibly that we slightly bent the ears of the driveshaft axle thingies when we were removing the old u-joint.:spank:
The guy with the vise and hammer said it would be fine - just slap it in 4WD and drive around and it will loosen up as in the tips of the ears of the driveshaft axle thingies where the u-joint is seated will loosen up over time. I believe him but now Jeep is pulling to center of road.

Is it true that U-joint will loosen up and seat correctly? i mean, the clips are in place, they are just a freakin tight on the outer DS ear thingie.

What would be the symptoms during driving with this tight u-joint? and can I fix it by banging on tip of outer DS ear thingy by u-joint while its still on the vehicle?

I had to do a lot of banging trying to get off the PASSENGER side hub until i figured out the trick to getting hub off, could i have knocked it out of alignment? Didn't notice it pulling though until after doing DRIVER side u-joint.

·
Global Moderator
9,746 Posts
Your threads are merged here.

You first posted your new question to a very old thread. New questions in old threads can get lost & confuse the members as to who is asking what question.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Its more likely you did something to effect the alignment when you had everything apart. I cant see a u-joint causing a pull.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,146 Posts
A pull can be possible
Stress relieving the u joint is done BEFORE the shaft is re installed. If they loosen after driving ,it is because they are wearing out quickly from improper installation.

If you used a ball joint press ,or any other press to install them, it is likely that you also bent a yoke or two.
Does it Vibrate now?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hammering a u-joint in or out is something you do on the side of the road to get the rig home. You have bent the ears of the yoke and it will wear the joint prematurely. You could take the drive shaft off and hammer the ears apart (as equally as possible) and free the joint up before you reinstall it.
You got bad advice and a roadside repair. I would suggest you get a u-joint press - even if it is from Harbor Freight - if you are going to do your own joints in the future. (good advice)
The tight ears are generating friction and heat and the friction is causing your vehicle to pull. You should either fix it soon or you will be replacing it again.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,146 Posts
Using a hammer and a bench vise is a common way to install a u joint.

Its all about technique. You can make a successful repair, or destroy a drive shaft yoke by doing so.

Not everyone can afford a U joint press, so learning an alternate way is a must. It doesn't make it any less right. But it can be risky.

Then there are plenty of guys who completely destroy a driveshaft with the right tool.(Press)

Tomato- Tomatoe, same thing

How to do something , with almost nothing is an art in itself.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Wow that posted all wrong.

You can hit the front auctatior fork if you are mean stuffing the shaft in there.

Jack the thing up I bet your passenger shaft is turning the pinion.

You can put it in 4wd then out and that may pull the fork back. But the seal for that acutatior is only a few bucks and you can pull it off and visually check where the sliding thing is before installing it.

Check your vacume lines and auctatior function in general.

That will cause it to pull.

No other way I can see the thing pulling unless you messed with the knuckle which is not needed in any way to yank a Dana 30 shaft.

You could have a slightly bent axle tube also. But the auctatior is the first thing I would mess with.

Did you switch your tires? Passenger on drivers side? Tires can wear how they like if you have a lift or such With a slight misalignment. Flip them and see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took it back apart and It apparently WAS the half too tight U-Joint causing the pull. SO always make sure your u-joint flops around up and down and left to right before you re-install. I already knew this but i let someone convince me otherwise because they were older and more experienced.

Now the brakes are spongy after bleeding so i think the calipers could also be messing up. It could even be that the calipers were gripping rotor too hard when i put it back together the first time? Because when we had it off the ground, the jeep front wheels didnt seem to spin very freely on either side with jeep off, but that may be natural.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts