Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys i need a little bit of help if you could please.

Iam very knowlageable about engines and stuff i have rebuilt a few but i have never installed a set of rod bolts.

Iam rebuilding my 377 it has 5.7 pink rods with stock bolts id like to change them to the arp replacements.

Now on installing them do i just press my old ones out and press the new ones ins or is there more too it then that thanks all help is apreciated.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Unfortunately yes, there is more than just R and R' ing the rod bolts. The big end of the rod needs to be resized after new bolts are pressed in. Best just to let an automotive machinist do the entire operation and they can magnaflux everything at the same time for you on that high winding 377. BUTCH.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
junior stocker said:
Unfortunately yes, there is more than just R and R' ing the rod bolts. The big end of the rod needs to be resized after new bolts are pressed in. Best just to let an automotive machinist do the entire operation and they can magnaflux everything at the same time for you on that high winding 377. BUTCH.
\

What he said. ^^^^^^^^^

tom

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
junior stocker said:
In the 80's when building the circle track engines we were required to build them with the stock rods and we never had any issues with the stock bolts. But we did see some problems after installing after market rod bolts and after a season of running and magging the rods during a rebuild we would fing stress risers in the rod just below the head of the rod bolt.

The conclusion was the new rod bolts have a lot interfearance and they require more torque which puts more stress in that area of the rod and the stock rods are only a 1038 steel.

Over the years I have seen broken rods but no broken bolts.

If you are going to use stock rods stay with the ones in the 80's and early 90's as they are a better forging over the early rods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.