Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of door hold-open springs for my 54 Chevy pickup ... can anybody tell me how these babies go in?

I got 2 for each door ... I think one goes up and one goes down ... but without any instructions or pictures I'm at a loss about how/where they go.

Thanks.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
If they are like a '53, and they probably are, there are a couple of 1/8" or so holes in the tops of the forged part and in the heavy plate metal part of the hinge, somewhere near the pivot pin. Don't remember exactly where they are but if you are looking for them, they will jump out at you. The legs of your semi-circular spring just drop into these holes. As I recall, there is only a spring on the top hinge on each door, none in the bottom hinge. I am at the office so can't go out and look at my hinges right now. I'll look tonight and if I am wrong about the details, I'll post the right answer.

Keep the second set 'cause these things blow up occasionally and it is nice to have a replacement. If you can remember where you store them!

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, bro' ... that gives me a lot to go on and makes perfect sense, by the way these are shaped.

I bought them from Jim Carter and they say 2 springs for each door. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Alan

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
I erred. I checked the doors on my truck when I got home and there are indeed two springs per side on the top hinge. There is one on the top and bottom of the forged door part of the the hinge. You will have to take the door off (leave the hinges in the door - unbolt the hinge from the body pillar) to install them but it isn't really hard. Helps to have two people when taking a door off. Will be very obvious how to put them in.

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, Willys36 -- you certainly saved me some time! At least now I know what's involved before I dig in.
:cool:

Alan

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got some springs the other day.... and i think these are about a cheap a** way of putting springs on the hinge!! After i installed them they almost fell off and are LOOSE....They do compress but when door is closed they are really loose... I am pretty sure i have them installed correctly.

BG :confused: :confused: :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts