Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A newbie here. I am installing a 17 gallon top feed fuel cell in my 46 Ford 1/2 ton pick up and am a little confused on how to hook up a Holley 97 Red Pump fuel pump. I do understand that one of the 3 -8an fittings on the top of the tank is for the fuel line, as that fitting has a tube going down inside the tank almost to the bottom. One of the other remaining fitting (also a -8an) is for the return line. Since I am not running a EFI system, that fitting is not required. Question, should I use that fitting as a vent and install a vent filter on it, or cap it off ??? Another question regarding the 3rd fitting ( roll over valve), should that valve have a coiled hose pointed down ? It is also my understanding that the fuel pump/pre & post filters must be located at the bottom level of the tank or lower and as close to the tank as possible. Am I headed in the right direction ??? Thanks, jakes

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
You've pretty much got it. (y)
Your second bung for the return line, you can just cap it....the roll-over valve also functions as the vent.
If you put a vent on the return line bung, it can then leak in a roll-over situation....that's why the roll-over vent is there.

Most will use a coiled or single loop line off the roll-over vent, to prevent heavy fuel slosh from spitting a trickle on the ground. Can be hose or bent hard line.

You are correct about the filter and pump location. doesn't have to be below the tank, just below the 1/3 full line or so.
The pre-filter needs to be relatively coarse, it is just to keep trash from hurting the pump, you don't want it restricting flow into the pump suction side. 100 micron.
The finer filter is a post pump filter/pre-carb filter....40 micron or smaller.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eric for your quick response! I wasn't sure if the roll over valve could be used as a vent. Makes scene, that it would be opened unit it upset. I do have a 100 micron and a 30 micron filter that I will be using. Thanks again, jakes.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
While I have successfully run my holley pump to deadhead regulator for many years , if I were setting up a new system with a tank that already has a return provision , I believe , for the bit of extra expense involved , I'd go ahead & install the return line & bypass regulator . Pump will run cooler with no chance for vapor lock .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts