Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a carry over from an earlier thread.......

When installing head bolts on my BBC, what torque values do I use, if I apply a lubricant like oil or Moly grease under the head bolts, and thread sealer on the threads?

If for example, the "book" torque value = 85 ft/lbs, and I use Moly grease under the head of the bolt, and thread sealer on the threads, does that change the torque settings to a number higher or lower value, or do I still torque to 85 ft/lbs?

thanks

Lee

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bulldogmafia said:
If the block was honed with a torque plate...... you need to "duplicate" what the machinist did when he installed and torqued the plate down as far as lubricant, that is number 1. Yes the lubricant whether oil or moly goes under the head of the bolt as well as the threads. Regardless of if you use a sealer or not, if the machinist torqued the plate to 85 you torque the head to 85 using the same lubricant he did or your sealer of choice as needed.
so I am to use both lubricant and sealant on the threads? that seems strange. will the sealant work if there is a lubricant on the threads with it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.