Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering whats the best bolts to use for the intake to heads, & Blower to intake??????? Also should i use the gaskets with the screens To stop lots of crap from being sucked in my 427?....ps heads are LS6 square ports. Thanks, Marty

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The screened gasket is not needed but, it is a good idea. I have run it both ways. With the screen in there you don't have to worry about larger items (bolts/nuts) getting to your rotors. It is not a filter just a screen so sand and dirt can still get in. It's up to you wether to run with or without. If you are careful and not dropping nuts and bolts into your carbs you should be fine without it but, it's cheap insurance.

The bolts to hold the manifold to the heads are nothing special. Find a quality bolt that will fit. The problem can be clearance issues so a smaller headed bolt may be needed. I don't know the BB manifolds torque spec of hand but, on a small block we are talking 25 ft lbs. Make sure you use sealer on the bolts that go into oil or water. You install blower manifold just like any other manifold, same toque specs, same pattern.

Now the blower to manifold bolts are where you need to be careful not to over torque. Usually in the 10ft lb range.

Royce

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Installing my 671

Thanks Royce! A couple of friends with blowers said go with ARP bolts for the Blower to manifold. Got for free an old Mr. Gasket scoop minus the filters. Have to get some K&N filters for the carbs. Marty

·
just passin' thru
327 Posts
Another point about the blower studs. They are usually aluminum and are designed to be the "weak link". In case of a blower explosion, they will break first and possibly save the engine itself from major damage.
This is required by NHRA for drag racing.
Using the aluminum studs on a street blower motor probably has less merit, but still worth the insurance.
Here's a link:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_11653_-1_10009
ARP, Weiand, BDS all sell the blower studs with torque recommendations. I used the Weiand bolts on my BDS blower torqued to 8 ft-lbs.

Steve

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Good Steve, thanks,

NEVER run without screens. It is cheap insurance.

Run real good filters and keep them serviced/ clean often. Blowers cost a lot and can get ruined easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.