Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I smashed the **** out of my headers, I can't jack my engine out to put the new ones on anytime soon. Due to extending complications I don't have access to the shop I normally have access to. So, I bought some shortys, and then it hit me. Why not use a saws all thing to cut the old headers to bring them out in two pieces, then put the new ones on. I think the shortys will fit without lifting out the engine. It's a 79 TA with a Chevy 350, is this dumb, or a bright light of hill people ingenuity?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Gladis said:
Why not use a saws all thing to cut the old headers to bring them out in two pieces, then put the new ones on?
I believe you answered your own question. ;) If you don't care about your old headers and since they are smashed, it's pretty obvious you just want them out by any means necessary, cut them out if you have to without overcomplicating things for you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know i can get the old ones out, but what are the odds of getting the new shortys in? i mean it looks like it will work, but this is sort of one shot deal, I hope this works. I'll probably post a pic of me doing this.

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
Gladis said:
i know i can get the old ones out, but what are the odds of getting the new shortys in? i mean it looks like it will work, but this is sort of one shot deal, I hope this works. I'll probably post a pic of me doing this.
Put the car on jackstands and have a piece of 2 x 8 board to put between the oil pan and jack and have a bottle jack handy, along with the tools required to remove the fan and to loosen the motor and trans mounts. If you have 'em and don't need 'em, great. But if you need 'em and don't have 'em, curses. You only need to raise the motor a little to wiggle the headers in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts