Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm building up an 8.5 10 bolt rearend out of a buick that doesnt have c-clips. ive got a 3.73 richmond ring and pinion for it along with a powertrax unit. i got the powertrax by means other than the ordinary so to speek, and have no directions for it. i was wondering if anyone has installed one of these and could give me directions, pictures, or just general help on this? thanks

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
That is informative to a degree.

They are pretty much straight forward and semi self explanatory as to most of the parts, BUT there is a proper procedure to follow when installing.

I will see if my boss still has the manuals for his, and see what I can do.

It's the little parts, especially the springs that present the most problematic portion of the install.

After you've done one, it's simple, as they are all designed similarly no matter whose axle they are manufactured to fit.

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
Didn't mean for it to look so generic. Just figured, if Camino got the instructions from powertrax, then there wouldn't be any question about who's doin' it right.

M&M is right about the lil springs. They can be a pain in the butt.

The only a couple things I didn't like about the powertrax. (1)The slack created by the pin riding in the center. Mine made a heckuva clunk, when you went from reverse to 1st, or vice versa. (2) The click-click-click, it makes, when you turn a corner. I had several people tell me I had bearings goin' out.

Other than that, a darn durable, simple to install locker.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
My boss had a set of these "type" of lockers installed in his Cherokee, but he said he didn't keep the paperwork that came with them.

I have seen pictures of some of the places he has had this thing, and I am thoroughly impressed with the capabilities of the additions of those lockers (he has them installed BOTH front AND rear).

He will outright REFUSE to let anyone else borrow his Jeep because of the charactaristics of having lockers front and rear.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i tried downloading the manual from the richmond web page but it came out as a bunch of numbers, dashes, symbols and crap. i was wondering about the little springs myself. the unit itself has springs already in it where the pin sits, and it has a little baggy with more springs in it. are they there for something?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.