Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
best thing I've used is either aluminum or copper. If it has any contours in the panel I use the copper because what I did was get 2' of 1"copper tubing for plumbing and hammered it flat and it's easy to bend behind the panel. The copper takes away some heat and doesn't allow the weld to melt through. So it's been really helpful to have the copper and it's not real expensive to get from a hardware store or Home Depot or Lowes. But Copper or Aluminum work the same. Also remember to gapr the panels about .030" from each other to allow for heat expansion and reduce warpage.

·
Registered
734 Posts
americanLT1 said:
Should I use weld through compound on the weld seams?
YES!

Grind to bare metal and spray or brush weld-thru primer where the metal is sandwiched together or where the metal butts together on the back side...it's simply the closest thing you can do to gaurd against rust being caused by the welds burning off the expoxy primer...that is if you care about the repair lasting for more than a few years....

The copper backing does a great job of keeping blow thru's from happening...but can't be used everywhere...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts