Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all!

So I'm building a 454 right now, gonna take her apart, put her back together, make sure shes in GOOD shape.

I've decided I want to take advantage of the 454's low compression and go for a turbo build. now, I already realize I'm gonna need to gap the piston rings differently, build up the bottom end a little better etc...

My question is for the top end:

Has anyone else ran a twin turbo 454? What intake would perform well with a turbo (id prefer to stay with edelbrock because I trust them as a brand). would porting the stock heads hold up or should I do an upgrade? Since I won't be able to add the turbos until later down the line, I want to build a roughly 400 hp naturally aspirated motor that will take the turbos no problem when I DO get to adding them on. any ideas?

(also yes I know it would make more sense to put it all together at once and then drop the motor in but I'm a power junkie. after about a year I'm gonna want to add more and so on and so forth :D)

By the way, the car is a street/strip set up

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have no specific recommendation of parts other than keep the compression in the 9:1 range and use an aluminum head and forged piston.

'The best turbo motor is the best NA motor you can build' - I believe this to be true.

If you use the stock slugs, then remember that they narrow the tuning window dramatically.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I have slapped together a non intercooled turbo setup out of junk yard parts onto a high mileage peanut 454. More just to do it then anything (2001).
Ran a blowoff with 4(up to 6)psi and ran around for a summer like that.

Noticable gains on the butt dyno from 2000 to 3500. But nothing I would be happy about if I had more then a hundred or so and a weekend into everything.

Turbos on old big blocks done correctly are not cheap or consistent. Lots of things affect a "dumb" turbo setup.
You have better motor options if you want to run a turbo. If your stuck on a 454 going higher NA compression is going to have more consistent power curves.

Just by your name I would think that if you were thinking of a turbo it would be with a buick. Less of a learning curve.

What is the realistic hp/tq your after at what rpm?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have slapped together a non intercooled turbo setup out of junk yard parts onto a high mileage peanut 454. More just to do it then anything (2001).
Ran a blowoff with 4(up to 6)psi and ran around for a summer like that.

Noticable gains on the butt dyno from 2000 to 3500. But nothing I would be happy about if I had more then a hundred or so and a weekend into everything.

Turbos on old big blocks done correctly are not cheap or consistent. Lots of things affect a "dumb" turbo setup.
You have better motor options if you want to run a turbo. If your stuck on a 454 going higher NA compression is going to have more consistent power curves.

Just by your name I would think that if you were thinking of a turbo it would be with a buick. Less of a learning curve.

What is the realistic hp/tq your after at what rpm?
sorry for the super late response. I'm hoping to be between the 400-500 horsepower range

1 - 5 of 5 Posts