Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
More machine than man
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 350SBC with a XE274H cam (230/236 @ 050 and .490" lift) around 9.8:1 compression ratio and factory Vortec heads. I am guessing 375-400HP and 415 ft/lbs torque. Transmission is a 4 speed manual B/W Super T-10 and a 1981 Chevy C-10 pickup truck with a 3.71 posi rear end. This is a weekend fun truck, all performance street use. No racing, no drag strip, etc.

He is telling that dual plane intakes are for tall gears and automatics. And is trying to direct me use a Victor or Victor Jr. But the operating range of these single plane intakes are so high. I don't really plan to take the engine past 6,500 RPMs (and even then, that is going to be in an extreme Mustang killing situation!), so it seems crazy to have an intake capable of 8,000 RPM's! And lose the low end grunt needed to get this truck moving from the line.

I was looking at a dual plane Edlebrock Performer RPM intake which was like 1,500-6,500 RPM's and seems better suited for street use and my cam. Suggestions?

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Forget the Airgap. No real advantage and fuel icing has been a reported problem. Just go with the Performer RPM. You could do a forum search on here and find out exactly why a dual plane is considered better for the street and a single plane manifold is more for racing.

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
edelbrock intake?

dual plane for sure. i've always used airgaps. never had icing problems. but have had perculating problems with out them. if your using a holley carb. use a weiand intake. edelbrock located the vacuum port close to the carb flange in order for it to be easier for you to use their spreadbore carb rather than using the competitions double fuel bowl carb. i believe the weiand is cheaper as well

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
Whether a spacer helps or not depends on the engine setup. Some like more plenum and respond well to spacer, on some a spacer makes no difference, and on a few the spacer will actually hurt power. Cheap enough to try it though.

Definitely a dual plane intake if you're mainly street running. Dual planes keep charge velocity higher and that makes for better low end torque and keeps fuel suspended better at low speeds. Big open plenums work best at higher rpm, great for drag racing, not so great for street.

·
More machine than man
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While I do appreciate everyone's input on what intake they suggest, I am really not interested in brands or models, at least just not yet. I need to decide on the type of intake and WHY. Yes I do know that people prefer the dual plane intakes for street because they have better torque at lower RPM's. But does anyone use single plane carb'd intakes off the track?

If anything I am leaning toward going with the single plane intake.

The reasons are three fold:

(1) The truck has no weight, or traction, or fat slicks in the rear end, so it tends to spin the wheels on launches. Perhaps the single plane would tame the torque down low and help the tires bite.

(2) It's a stick and you tend to shift at higher RPM's than an auto you would get the benefit of the single plane power more than you think.

(3) It is geared low so overall the RPM's would be higher during cruising and thus power would be available right now.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
The Performer RPM AirGap will make more torque and horsepower at every RPM from idle to 7000 when compared to a Victor type single plane.
Your heads dont flow enough to need a bigger intake.
The difference wont be that great so if you want the single plane for cosmetic reasons, go for it.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
The higher shift point from using a manual trans that you think will benefit you w/the single plane intake will not make any improvement in how the truck drives around town.

AFA traction goes you DO have an option to improve the suspension and/or to use tires w/more traction. And unless you want to kill power instead of harness it, you have a uber sophisticated traction modulation system already onboard- your right foot.

The bottom line that should matter to you the most is you will enjoy more power under the curve w/the dual plane than a single plane.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.