Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
On the Border
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm trying to diagnose a problem, since last week my car started to have poor idle, poor mpg's and the exhaust smells too rich, and I noticed that the coolant overflow tank goes empty so every week I have to pour some coolant in there, the coolant problem started a month ago. I already tested for external vacuum leaks but I didnt found any, so I'm guessing it could be internal since I'm losing some coolant. What do you think?

PS: I havent done the internal leak test since I dont have a vacuum gage, but will do when I get one

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
If the intake had a leak it would be running leaner, not richer.
While it's possible coolant is leaking around the intake then some of it should be appearing in the oil.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you are losing anti-freeze and it is not going on the ground, you have two choices. Pull the intake to check the gasket. If the intake gasket isn't leaking the only thing left is the head gaskets. Pull the oil dipstick does the oil look milky. I am thinking the intake gasket is leaking and your losing anti-freeze out through the exhaust. Check your plugs they should show if anti-freeze is leaking into the a cylinder.

·
On the Border
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to pull the intake any way, I've found a leak in the back of the block on the china wal near the dist. hole, the plugs from 5, 6 and 8 look oily, it's been 3 years since I installed that intake, I thought it would last longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.