Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any tell me why this intake not fitting properly. It's procomp I bought it few months ago just got around to install it. Motor chevy 355 heads are chevy 14011034-2 casting, stage 3 head work. I had 3 other intakes on this motor. I never had this happen. With felpro 1205 intake sits low won't line up. I called the seller they said used felpro1266 I install it. Intake sits kinda high my valve covers would not bolt down hit the intake. So I shave the sides intake and bought 3/8” valve cover spacers. Valves cover bolted down now. Took it out for ride leaking water at the top of the intake back and front. I pull the intake and install another 1266 man it still leaked same places only, no water in oil.

I sent the seller pics and info on what's going they have not got back to me yet.

Man this driving me nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm sorry i posted this again i thought 1st did not go through. please reply to my 1st thanks so much.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
The China walls are preventing the manifold from fully aligning with the heads. The manifold where it sits on the China walls needs to be milled about .030”. That will allow the intake manifold to sit lower so the bolt holes will line up. Apparently the heads have been milled excessively without matching the China wall mating surfaces.

·
More for Less Racer
20,378 Posts
Mousefink may be onto something here....how much clearance is between the ends of the manifold and the front and rear "china" walls of the lifter valley/block when you tried the #1205 gasket??

If you've got clearance there then that's not the issue.

Are you using any gasket sealer at the water openings at each end of the heads, or just expecting the gasket to do the job??

I hesitate to just jump on Procomp for being china crap, but they aren't known for the best quality control and you may just have a poorly machined intake.
You may want to check if the angle of the intake flanges matches the angle of the head flange for the intake gasket, it may be the intake is machined on a different angle and puts less clamp on the top of the port than it does at the bottom
Set the intake on the engine with no gasket and check with feeler gauges and visually to see if angle is the same.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mousefink may be onto something here....how much clearance is between the ends of the manifold and the front and rear "china" walls of the lifter valley/block when you tried the #1205 gasket??

If you've got clearance there then that's not the issue.

Are you using any gasket sealer at the water openings at each end of the heads, or just expecting the gasket to do the job??

I hesitate to just jump on Procomp for being china crap, but they aren't known for the best quality control and you may just have a poorly machined intake.
You may want to check if the angle of the intake flanges matches the angle of the head flange for the intake gasket, it may be the intake is machined on a different angle and puts less clamp on the top of the port than it does at the bottom
Set the intake on the engine with no gasket and check with feeler gauges and visually to see if angle is the same.

thanks for the reply, it will sit to low in the motor bay with 1205 gasket. bolts hole would not line up. I never had this happen before. man may have to use it as a paper weight. yes gasket sealant around the ports.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The China walls are preventing the manifold from fully aligning with the heads. The manifold where it sits on the China walls needs to be milled about .030”. That will allow the intake manifold to sit lower so the bolt holes will line up. Apparently the heads have been milled excessively without matching the China wall mating surfaces.

Hi thanks for the info.
I had 3 other intake on this motor never had a problem like this.

these are 2 of them i had on the motor. "O" and tunnel ram to.

I bought it
from Skip White off of ebay.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts