Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I Need To Use Sealent On The Threads Of The Intake Bolts On A Big Block Chevy. Also What Do I Torque The Bolts To And In What Pattern. Any Help Would Be Great Thanks In Advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
re cyl head bolys

from my experience ,

cyl ead bolts on a chev should only be installed with a light oil on the thread,

reason.... any interference with such as a heavier compound can and will interfere with the torque settings.

ask your local gm dealer or pro engine shop for recommended settings

regards

aussie bob

·
Registered
973 Posts
Some of those bolt holes have Water behind them,.....
I suppose you could put a dab of sealant on them..........

They're 3/8" bolts,...... that means the Torque should be about 35ft.lbs......
And,...
As when torquing about Anything,....
Start in the center of mass,+ radiate Out from there.....

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I don't know about the big block Chevy, but on the SBC you need to put sealant on the inner bolts on the intake manifold.

The inner bolt holes for the intake manifold (in the head) go completely through and are exposed to oil underneath. If you don't use RTV on the bolt threads, the oil will wick up the threads and leak out onto the surface of the intake manifold. However, it should not create a vacuum leak.

For torque measurement I use the torque wrench on bolts I can reach, and then use how tight they are as an estimate for the ones I can't reach. Its not very scientific, but the best I could come up with. Also make sure you look at the suggested tightening sequence so it pulls down evenly.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
this is a roundabout way to see torque specs but go to www.nationaltbucketalliance.com...then pull up "tech pages" look under "engine" and it will link you to the intake torque specs. And for the bolts you can't reach with a tor. wrench just snug them down good and tight (don't go crazy on them) with a closed end wrench. Once you go through one complete sequence go through it once more to make sure bolts are tight.

·
Registered
973 Posts
cro77 said:
the runners on the intake are to big to get my torque wrench in is there any other way to tell the torque on the bolts as always thanks
That's where an Calibrated Elbow comes into play..............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.