Hot Rod Forum banner

intake manifolds

672 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  55_327
I am getting ready to build a 360 sbc out of a 880 4 bolt block,its been machined lined ,decked bored,and I recently bought some aluminum heads for it ,these heads will fit either vortec style intake manifold or conventional ,my block does have third bypass hole for the water pump and mechanical fuel pump hole.To me it seemed simple to just set it up like old school 350 build but Im wondering if I might be missing something.or over thinking it,and another thing is Ive got my mind set on a air gap manifold,do I have to have it? motors going in a 4x4 jeep.there's other cheaper intake manifolds that do the same. other than the cooling part.I guess I should add that the runners are 200cc 68cc chambers,2.02 -1.64 valves,flat top forged pistons, .500/.510 cam, thank you
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,635 Posts
My take on air gaps...

Aluminum is highly conductive of heat. It's going to get just as hot as a non air gap, it will just take a few more minutes. If you're drag racing, it might help. On the street you want to get the engine up to temp as fast as possible, both for the health of the engine, and for air/fuel mix... getting off the choke... driveability, etc. Millions of tests have been done and it may account for a couple hp... which you'll never feel in your butt, but if it shaves .002 seconds off your quarter mile, it might be worth it.

My opinion is that air gap intakes are 100% gimmick. I might even go as far as snake oil. Squarely in the "bling" category.

In my builds, I typically keep exhaust crossovers. I want that intake hot. Does it cost me 2.7 hp? Yup. Gladly. I'll never miss it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts