Hot Rod Forum banner

Intake port matching. Help please

10K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  killerformula 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a set of dart pro 1 alumnum sbc heads.The intake ports are just slightly taller than the ports on my edlebrock perf RPM intake. I have already port matched the special thicker fel pro gaskets to the heads. My question is..... Is it worth the time to port out my intake to match the heads? there is enough meterial on the intake to do it. And if so would there be any gains in hp. Also these heads hae 215cc intake runners. There going on a 388 stroker 64cc chambers. falt tops 2 eye brow. Comp cams .480 lift 230 dur@050 magnum cam. I intend to keep the rpm range around 6000 max. Are these heads too big for my engine? I bought them incase I wanted to up the power in the future but right now im just wanting a driver and occational drag race.

#2 ·
I wouldn't. You are better off leaving the intkae ports alone. I tried to do it on my 5.0 with Trick Flow heads and a torker intake. The ports don't line up exactly because of casting imperfections. The head port sticks out about 1/16" into the intake port. That causes a slighty eddy current. It would have been better if I would have just left the intake a little smaller.

#3 ·
If the intake manifold ports are smaller than the head intake ports, that will be ok. If the intake manifold ports are bigger than the head intake ports, that is bad as will cause puddling right where the two ports meet. With your combo, I'd leave it alone and run it since the manifold ports are smaller than the head intake ports.

#5 ·
Port matching

Lay your gasket on the side of the head and scribe a line around the inside of the gasket port hole. Grind back to that line with a 45 degree bevel, smoothing the runner side of the bevel so you dont have a sharp edge. I dont recommend port matching the intake as there is a thing called core shifting, which will often lead to the intake runner and the head port being slightly misaligned. I would only grind out any casting flash or lips inside the intake runner. Picture the head port as a funnel and the intake runner as a hose, shooting into the big end of the funnel. Grinding out the intake runner port will only keep the problem of a possible misalignment intact, and it is also possible that when you mate the two together, that a part of the gasket could even stick out into the passage, creating an obstruction.

#6 ·
i use the gasket as a template ,and go about 2 inches in. blend it so that the intake port is smaller than the head. on the performer you can take down the center divider a bit too.

tip- powder coat the intake makes it very easy to clean

i dont have any evidence that this really helps. i have done it to all my manifolds. it deffinitely hasnt hurt the performance when compared to stock. who knows

ill attach my pictures

#7 · (Edited)
port matching

this is hotmetal 800, portmatching is critical to high RPM
flow requirements. Volumetric efficiency is reduced when
the velocity of your air charge drops crossing the threshhold
into the larger cylinder head port. If you do not go to the drag strip and race,you do not need to worry about it.

I suggest you go to mondellotwister.com, mondello performance
products. Joe Mondello works very closely with SuperFlow.This alliance has produced a new cutting edge technology using a
solution of fluorescent dye and slow motion photography.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.