Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking into camshafts and wondering if camshafts and lifters styles can be interchanged. I have been looking at a hydraulic roller cam but it seems that they are very expensive. I can get hydraulic rollers for a really good price but the cams are nuts. Can you use a hydraulic roller on a solid roller cam? or can you use a hydraulic roller lifter on a hydraulic flat tappet cam?

thanks
Marc

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nope. That's the simple answer. they are engineered to work together,ever look at the ramps on a hyd flat tappet camshaft compared to a roller's ramps?? Unless you are going to be building a MONSTER of an engine a hyd flat tappet cam and lifters will do a good job and are cheap. You can free up some of the valve train with roller rockers. they have some stamped steel roller rockers fairly reasonable. Brian

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Brian is correct. I'll just add that you never want to re-use old flat tappet lifters when doing a cam upgrade. Start with new lifters. Also, don't re-use old lifters if you are pulling the cam to use it in different motor.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well more specifically, can a hydraulic roller cam use a solid roller lifter, Or vice versa?
isnt the solid roller lifter and the hydraulic roller virtually the same besides, the fact that there is no valve lash ajustments with the hydraulic lifter.

Marc

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm not exactly sure. But I would have to say that I think it would work fine,but I think that you have to change rocker arms and push tubes. Crane Cams, Inc.
530 Fentress Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114 386-252-1151
386-258-6174 Tech Line
386-258-6167 FAX
Google is great insn't it. I know these cats will know everything you ever wanted to know and even stuff you DON'T want to know. :thumbup: Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.