Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a cd player in a 1993 Pontiac grand am 6 Cylinder i got it all in and working but got some problems

1st.. The guage (dash) lights dont come on

2nd.. the dome lights wont go off ( even when the car is off and the key is out!)

3rd.. The beeping noise that signals when the doors are open wont stop beeping even when the doors are shut

What could this be?:pain:

Thanks

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Fuses and grounds

Doc here:pimp:

Does the CD player go off when you turn the headlights on?

Check the wiring on the CD player, the power ground needs a good body ground...Don't hook it to the old harness...and don't hook it to any green wire...That's dim not ground!

Check the memory is on constant power, not dim or courtesy lighting circuit...

Check to see what, If any fuses are blown, It sounds like you have a loaded ground (through the CD) lighting off the other systems...

(pulling power in series through the CD ground ,backwards, a light dosen't care what direction power comes from..setting off the other stuff..)

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright i got to messing with it today and im still puzzled i cannot figure this out...

i took the cd player compleatly out...

the dash lights wont work i can hook the dimmer wire striaight up to the power and they will come on but they wont go off when the car is off and they wont dim or brighten..

that warning beeping noise that goes off when your lights are on ur the key is in the ignition wont go off at all even when the car is shut off the lights are off and the key is out and the doors are closed it will still just keep ona beeping..

The abs breaking light will come on and when i touch this orange wire to the power wire it will go off

im soo puzzled i cant figure this out ive never had this problem before

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
fuses

Doc here::pimp:

Check the fuses...

by touching power back-feeding through that harness tells me you have a fuse open and power being drawn through something else (why domes don't go off...)

and be sure the circuits are isolated (not feeding one to another)

Doc :pimp:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.