Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1970 nova that I am working on and I need to paint some of the interior pieces (A pillar covers, dash, etc). It is a somewhat flat black and I am having a tough time finding a code for it. Any of you know what it may be?

·
Registered
468 Posts
LOL, black is black. You’re looking for a satin black or a chrome black might be a closer texture match for the interior. Black is pretty much a universal color. There won’t be any specific code unless it was a color other than black.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Black is black is not entirely accurate, especially when talking about interior plastic pieces. SEM makes Classic Coat aerosols that are intended to match Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Acura and BMW colors, but those are intended to match more recent cars, not 40 year old cars. There is Satin black, gloss black, landau black, midnight black, and black. All of them, while being black, are not the same, and have different color codes. You will need to compare one of your pieces with some color chips to make sure you get the right finish. I did an interior of a 70 Olds Cutlass, and the SEM Color Coat Landau Black, #15013 aerosol seemed to be the closest to the original. They also make a product for exterior plastic called Trim Black.

·
Registered
468 Posts
True, it wasn't entirely accurate. Whenever additives are added the color texture changes. Your selection of the laudau black would be the best choice.

This should have been posted in the interior forum.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
cjperotti said:
This should have been posted in the interior forum.
I agree. Oh, Vince, can you do a move job on this thread over to Interior?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
one word of caution...use very thin coats a thick coat will cause trouble with flexibility,I've had the SEM crack on me,because I was in a hurry and tried two thick coats,but I've never tried their aresol,I imagine it would be worse if hurried

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
With SEM, you must clean the hard plastic parts with a green scuff pad, SEM Soap #39362, and Plastic /Leather Prep #3835 until water doesn't bead on them. You also need to know what kind of plastic you're trying to color. Usually they are ABS, and that will be stamped on the inside of the piece. If it doesn't say, put a drop of lacquer thinner on the back of the plastic and rub it with your finger. If it smears and melts, you need to use # 3836 Sand Free for your adhesion promoter. If it doesn't smear, use # 3986 Plastic Adhesion Promoter. Sand Free or Plastic Adhesion Promoter is insurance it won't come off. Aerosols work excellent if you mist coat, let it flash, and repeat until you have complete coverage. Like any paint job, your success is in direct proportion to the amount of prep work you do. Clean the parts with SEM products, and use SEM Sand Free or SEM adhesion promoter to make sure what you use is compatible with the coating.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
hey dan,...a green scuff pad? Where does that compare to red or gray? I've never seen green.Also I'm having trouble with a headliner out of an 05 Impalia with a sunroof...how do you get it out of the car without creasing or folding it,its very weak at the edge by the sunroof hole?I've tried everything but pull the seats out,its just to dang big...my sunroof is leaking from somewhere and needs fixin.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
There are two types of scuff pads for cleaning before re-coloring leather, vinyl, soft and hard plastic with SEM products. The green one is a little coarser than the gray one, which is for leather. Neither one would be of any use to you doing body work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.