Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son shot some paint onto my interior trim rings. Just thought I'd post them so you can see I'm still making progress on the old 38. I cut down some Ford (I think) headlight buckets and welded in some hand made bracketry to add lights to my street rod. I don't have them painted yet. The DeSoto lights we're pretty well gone but the tear drop housing was in relatively decent shape. Anyways here's the fresh paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
38 do you have a place to get the stainless screws you will need for those moldings?? # 8 with #6 heads,, if not,, I have a excellent source for them,, the ace hardware gets 65 c each for them,, I can get them by the 100 ct box for 11 $ need some just let me know,, Bill

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks BadRat I'll keep you in mind if I can't find any locally.

Henry you asked for an update and here it is. I'm excited about it so far. It got warm today (near freezing, it's been a windchill of -20 f) so I just had to get out and work on the old 38. It was calling me something awful to come out and play (probably cabin fever.) I bought the paint sometime earlier in Jan. My wife says the old girl should be classy and I'd like street rod cool, so here's what I came up with. The design of the dash and mirror will reflect what the outside of the car will look like. I think this make up on her will make her shine like new again. One of my tail lights fell off the hook while painting today and it got dented up bigtime. I'll have to start all over with that one. It's almost enough to tick a guy off after putting all that work into it. Just these few parts took half a day. I have to git'r done for this spring and get'r back on the road legally. :thumbup: Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got warm again last friday 35 degrees I had to get some more paint on the old beast. I got some kerosene for the heater and fired her up.My oldest son helped me this time. I got both top parts of the butterfly hood done as well as some more hood braces and some other small parts. Enjoy the pics. Yes that is paint fog in the air even though it's an hlvp gun. cough, cough.

Attachments

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
Thanks for the update and the pics....Its really gonna look good. Dang....I am excited now and it isn't even my car :) Your gonna have fun this Spring. :thumbup:

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Now I am confused. 38...what color is the '38 going to be. I thought it was going to be green. The headlight buckets and dash look like a candy apple red, but the panels you sprayed look orange. :confused: Looking good BTW whatever color it is going to be. And yea...I can't wait for this weather to break either. Jan 5th was 58 degrees at 4:30 in the morning. Been downhill after that. I need warm weather and sunshine to get me out of a slump :pain:

And what kind of a combination is this???? A Sawzall and Minwax :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
38, you are steadily moving along on your car. Hats off to your "Stick-to-it-ivness"!!! It does not seem that long ago that I reviewed your pics of the beast and made some suggestions on how to tackle the project. I'm ready for the Pigon Forge Maiden Voyage!!!

Trees

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Henry. Your darn right, I'm gonna have a fun time this spring. Even if I have to ride around on 5 gallon buckets for the seats. :thumbup:

Thanks Tff I think it's gonna be sharp too!

:eek: 58 degrees. You got that warm? We must've got cheated up this way. I'm only an hour north of you. But then quite frequently the Dayton area will get 60 while we're still in the high 30's up here. I guess I should load the old girl up and come down to your house and paint. :D
LOL! I can see your confusion on the color and the things setting in the background. First those parts are sitting in our new family room addition. The sawzall was used to cut a hole in the wall to install new french doors ( I don't know why they call them that, I never heard them speak french) from the new room into the kitchen. That's also the same sawzall I used to hack out many a rusted piece on the old 38. A good tool, no? ;)
The minwax is the stain I used for the pine tongue and groove ceiling which incidently the interior garnish molding are sitting on. Since I'm still working on the new room I sneak some of my car remodeling in with the house remodeling. I don't know how long I can get away with that. Hopefully till it gets warm. Hey a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, right? :D
Now on to paint, I have changed my mind at least 3 times (no more green) since I started this project 5.5 years ago. The camera does'nt give a good color quality, it's a cheap camera. The color is more of a small metal flake copper color and and Gm white. The copper color is actually GM sunburst orange. I'm sure you'll get to see it this year if Wiemer has another car show in the Bellefontaine area. Where's he been lately haven't seen him on the board? But then I don't get on as much as I used too. My daughter gets on the computer too much. She has drivers ed. this week so the computer is MINE, ALL MIME... muhahahahahahaha! :cool:

Yeah, Trees! Pigeon Forge, Maggie valley, you name it. I may be there some year. First I have to take some short runs to see how dependable the old girl is gonna be. :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.