Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
302/Z28 said:
Don't have the exact dimension, but my 34 is about 48". Tea's Design has an excellent seat for your 31 and can make one to any dimension. A little pricey, but quality all the way and supreme comfort.
Vince
I don't often disagree with Vince, but I have to this time. Tea's makes a nice seat but the way the front of the seat is shaped makes it difficult to look nice in a '30-31. I was going to use them for my '31 roadster but after looking at their design, decided that Glide Engineering make better seats to conform to the 'A' body configuration - just don't get their lousy foam packs.

Wise Guys also make a good 'A' seat.

Also, with Tea's you are, unless they have changed, limited to a tweed (wool?) material.

Check out the junkyards - you are limited to a very narrow seat - buckets no wider than ~21 - 22 inches each.

Dave
 

·
Lost in the 60's
Joined
·
15,292 Posts
They tell me that the center seat from a Dodge Carravan fits just right if you want a bench seat. Get you tape measure out and measure everything that you see, thats what I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,653 Posts
MustBnuts said:
Was wondering if anyone has the door to door measurements , and what seats seem the best fit

My car is not a Model A ... but I used the stock, original 32 seat in my 32 3W ...



Do you not have the original seat ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,045 Posts
Henry Highrise said:
They tell me that the center seat from a Dodge Carravan fits just right if you want a bench seat. Get you tape measure out and measure everything that you see, thats what I did.
Henry is right. My brother in law has pulled the buckets out of his A coupe and is installing a seat from a Dodge Caravan. I think it is the third seat though. I tried calling him to confirm but he isn't home. With a little bit of trimming the mounts will work as well. Will post later to confirm or ....

Your A is a tudor sedan, correct?

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
We used seats froma 94 Honda Civic in the 32 3W Coupe. They just barely fit.

For an A you might look in a little car as in narrow like a Focus or Echo, something like that. Of course these may have high back seats rather than removeable headrest and low backs so you'll have to think about that too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
pasadenahotrod said:
We used seats froma 94 Honda Civic in the 32 3W Coupe. They just barely fit.

For an A you might look in a little car as in narrow like a Focus or Echo, something like that. Of course these may have high back seats rather than removeable headrest and low backs so you'll have to think about that too.
PLEASE - don't use a high back bucket seat in an A !!
They are so out of proportion to the car design lines that they trend to make it look ridiculous. There are a couple locally - ugh! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Dave
 

·
Lost in the 60's
Joined
·
15,292 Posts
Irelands child said:
PLEASE - don't use a high back bucket seat in an A !!
They are so out of proportion to the car design lines that they trend to make it look ridiculous. There are a couple locally - ugh! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Dave
Like anything else.......some look better than others. If everybody thought the same way ...then all hotrods would be the same....Probably...Red without fenders, Lmao :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
Henry Highrise said:
Like anything else.......some look better than others. If everybody thought the same way ...then all hotrods would be the same....Probably...Red without fenders, Lmao :D
HH
I agree and will take my verbal kick in the shins. (OUCH, not so hard !!!)

As usual, I try to multitask (this time, talk on the phone and write a thread response ) and leave out a very important qualifying phrase - "IMHO..... "
(But I still don't think they look right in an 'A', IMHO :embarrass )


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
interior width 30-31 A seat

Henry Highrise said:
They tell me that the center seat from a Dodge Carravan fits just right if you want a bench seat. Get you tape measure out and measure everything that you see, thats what I did.
I used the center seat out of a Dodge Caravan in my 34' Ford coupe and it just clears the doors with a 1 1/2" on each side and I haven't put door panels in yet. Seat is 41 1/2" wide at its widest part. Model A's are alot smaller inside than a 34 Ford. You might want to look at Cadillac Cimmeron seats. They are narrow( about 17-18"wide) and both sides are power. You can always cut them down so they aren't as tall. I was going to use them (still have them in the attic) but the Caravan seat is so much more comfortable.ALot of work to fab mounting brackets and I used tracks from a Mazda pickup. Might also look at a Jeep CJ back seat. they are narrow and they come right out. I have a spare Caravan Middle seat out in the shed if anyone needs one.
Kyle-hot34coupe
 

·
Lost in the 60's
Joined
·
15,292 Posts
Irelands child said:
HH
I agree and will take my verbal kick in the shins. (OUCH, not so hard !!!)

As usual, I try to multitask (this time, talk on the phone and write a thread response ) and leave out a very important qualifying phrase - "IMHO..... "
(But I still don't think they look right in an 'A', IMHO :embarrass )


Dave
Ha Ha Ha....Lmao @ Dave :D I didn't really kick you in the shins, LOL......You got to watch us guys that recently quit smoking..Ha ha ha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,653 Posts
Congratulations ... on stopping ... :)

It must be real difficult. Lung Cancer killed my Dad ... 2 years ago. He was 83 ... he would have lived a lot longer if he could have stopped 20 years ago. He just could not .. :( I know he really tried ... for years ...
 

·
Lost in the 60's
Joined
·
15,292 Posts
Sorry to hear that about your Dad Deuce.......It is hard.......I am almost 62 and I have been smoking since I was a teenager. I smoked about two packs a day. I will say this...its easier to quit smoking them than it is to quit thinking about them...and thats a fact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Henry Highrise said:
An A is 44-5 inches door to door........I used some bucket seats out of a Volvo on mine.
Thx HH doesnt allow for too many options for my 46 Reg butt....

Take this time to update...Real excited finally got my garage fixed up to receive both the chassis and the body (I'm sure you guys still remember the vision of that rusted out A frame).

Definition of a ...buddy... is a guy who will take crap from his better half for the "Ugly car" beside their house for about 2 months awaiting my garage upgrade.


I'm taking Brews advice and cleaning the frame up, and will try and get a few bucks on Ebay with full warning as to why I'm selling it.

I have my steel channel...from the plant. LOL 2x4 tubing from spare wracking we have in the yard ...cost $0.00, figure if it can hold two pallets of 4 drums, it can hold the body and take the torque from the 429.

Now im sort of laughing at my own thought process ...why one might ask is a guy worrying about seats when he has to build a frame ...select a suspenion ...and finish a body. I chaulk it up to nervous anticipation, early onset Alzheimers, and late blooming ADD.

Got my compressor sorted out...getting my Miller next week, added to a ton of clamps jackstands and evey dang power tool I could lay my newbie hands on ..

Today I went into TSC for a new grinder, the little lady was with me and asked ..."OK so what makes you think you know who how to grind...?? I had had it with her negative 30 sedan attitude..and told her I had been grinding her with slightly more than 4 1/2 inches since she was 18. The silence was profound.

Will take Brew's advice and start a Journal should be good for a chuckle ....dont let the shine from all the new tools blind you ...

thanks again for the seat advice that bench from a dodge van might fit take a look and whats already in the back in this photo ...it just fits, and sure looks like a van seat, but the front must be more narrow ...Deuce that pic of your seat looks great but I think it is a mile beyond my skill level.

I think the Cimarron seats have a shoulder belt built in the seat ??????

That would solve a minor issue... but if it is only 19 inches wide. hmmmm

Shakes head....has lost so many of my own family to lung cancer...hurts just to think about it.

heres the pic.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
home brew said:
Henry is right. My brother in law has pulled the buckets out of his A coupe and is installing a seat from a Dodge Caravan. I think it is the third seat though. I tried calling him to confirm but he isn't home. With a little bit of trimming the mounts will work as well. Will post later to confirm or ....

Your A is a tudor sedan, correct?
Yep sedan, was thinking the middle bench in a van is shorter to allow passenger flow to the rear seat.. maybe that is the one, the rear seat in vans are full width...

Since I dont necessarily have a passion for buckets and bench would be fine, makes for more room for ..SHe who must be heard....


Robert
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top