Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have another question...my Ron Sessions book says there is no need to upgrade the intermediate band in the TH350 (except 250 variant) since it's only function is to provide engine braking, however why do I keep seeing various aftermarket people advertising extra wide kevlar linned bands to improve 1-2 shifting. Sessions says since the intermediate band needs so little attention he doesn't know of anybody making a performance version. Whats the story - should I get a new performance band. PS I'm intending to use a full manual valve body if this makes a difference.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The band in a TH350 does nothing as far as shift is concerned.
It's only function is to provide engine braking when S or 2 range is selected.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is apparently true for the wider bands and I realized this when I checked into it closer but still I have seen, for example on TCI's site, a kevlar high performance band for the TH350...it has it's own part number. If the intermediate band on the TH350 is a non shifting part and really doesn't do much then why are these aftermarket places offering a "high performance" kevlar lined band. Could it be more important when using a full manual valve body and downshifting is more aggressive?

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I am of the opinon that they produce and sell the t-350 relined kevlar type coasting bands for profit. that and the fact that people want them

The coasting band is not very wide and the apply servo is small . They dont hold power well, but engine braking is their main function

1 - 7 of 7 Posts