Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) That's right - meathooks! " You know what they say about guys with big hands . . . Big Gloves!" :) I live in St. Louis but I'm from St. Paul, MN (20+ yrs ago). I've been around hotrods since 1960. Am Member #44 in MSRA (MN Street Rod Assn.) Past cars have included '32 Ford chopped top 3W cpe, '34 Ford chopped top 3W cpe, '34 Ford Cabriolet (chopped top) and '34 Ford sedan delivery. Recent years I've been into Jaguar XJ Series cars. Jags are a fine driving car once you learn to deal with Lucas ("Star Wars") electrics and a few other idiosyncrasies. Right now I only have a '76 Jag XJ6C (somewhat rare coupe - a beautiful looking and driving car) - will probably sell this coupe to buy a streetrod as soon as I put the dash and a new headliner back in it.
So much for history - I'm building a new garage that will involve a 4-post lift to increase storage space. I've been checking out the various lift suppliers for some time and the price range goes from$1800 to $5000 for what I want. :confused: I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who owns one of these lifts to help me decide what/where to buy.
I'm going to get back into street rodding again and will probably be buying a completed/almost done car since I don't have it in me to build one ground up anymore. I don't fit in "34 Fords these days (6'2" - 340lbs) so I'm looking at '37, '39 and '40 Fords. If money was no problem, I'd go out and buy a '39 Ford convertible right now. I don't care whether it's steel or glass.
Just bought a Miller 180SD tig/stick welder. Now I'm hearing that the Lincoln 185 Precision tig has an advantage over my machine :( since it has "pulse" capability and a lower 5 amp minimum setting i.e. the Lincoln might be better for thin sheetmetal. I can weld but I'm not experienced with tig. I would like to hear from any one who is familiar with these two welders. Bought the Miller 'cuz it's what I've had b4 and I like blue - hope it wasn't another bad decision on my part. Well, that is most certainly enough about ME

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Great to have you here! With a resume like that, you definitely will be a tech asset. Don't you wish you still had a couple of those rod? Know what you mean about size; I'm 6'3" and got up to 275 but had to lose back down to 240 so I could get behind the wheel of my Willys!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I wish I still had 'em?

You betcha I wish I still had em. Especially the chopped and channeled '32 3W coupe with '48 Merc (3 Stromberg 97s) flattie. Textbook hotrod, my first car! Purchased for $400.00 with paper route money from the kid who built it. Flat black, no fenders, '39 box with Zephyr gears. Edelbrock finned AL heads and a chrome fuel block with sexy red neoprene gas lines. I can see it clearly . . . I have to, never took a picture. Had to sit on a thin boat cushion on top of a plywood floor. I was only 15 and didn't know diddley squat besides what I read in the magazines. For example, it didn't have a pressurized radiator, so it would leave a strip of water up the street from the overflow tube when you got on the accelerator too hard. After I sold it a guy told me that "everyone knows you have to knock a few blades off the flattie's water pumps to slow the flow " (or pressurize the system). Drove that car to school one day (only had a permit to drive) - got lots of attention but it wasn't really MY car since I did not build it - it was "Krejci's car". I couldn't deal with that so I got mad and sold it to another kid and began building my own junkyard fresh 26 T coupe with a 331 Hemi. Oops, there I go again - better lay off the coffee.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
331 bell housing

Didn't realize there was a two types of 331" blocks. This was probably a "long" cuz I had a cast AL Speed Gems adaptor behind it that was almost flat (like a thick pizza pan) to mount a '37 Lasalle (Cad-Lasalle) 3-speed long tail shaft tranny. That motor was a real boat anchor. Looked just like the 392" that Garlits was runnin' - what did I know (the big valve covers are what got me off). I had an Edelbrock 6-2 log manifold with six 97's on it and a progressive linkage (one can never have too much carburetion - WHAT was I thinking?). Bought those Stromberg 97s like new rebuilt from Little Dearborn parts in Minneapolis for $7.00 ea in 1963! The truth is I never finished and drove that car. Curiously, that American Hot Rodder show (Boyd Coddington) had a '26 just like it in a rat rod build off with "Blue Bear" just recently and there was another '26 rat rod built on another show as well (maybe there's a '26 revival comin'!). Well, time to go drive the truck, make some money. I'll see what's up tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.