Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time I started the tale of my '55 Buick.

The cardinal rules of the design are:

Must look stock on the outside
Should look stock on the inside
Will be a daily driver
Must last years and years and withstand Santa Cruz salt air
Must run and feel like a new car
Cadillac ride

We've got a good start - and are making some progress on this 2 year project:

Notice the LS1 engine and the custom frame.

We hope to start the paint process this month. We'll see. As you all know these things can't be rushed or predicted in any reasonable way. The paint will be Two Tone - White on Green.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Welcome Aforget and thanks for sharing your Buick.

Tried to look at the link from your project journal but it didn't connect. I was wondering about the frame and suspension. What are you using? Your project reminds me a bit of Jay Leno's Buick. Very cool!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the 55Buick site... Since I am the IT manager, and I work an awful lot at a *real* job - things are not high available. I have to fire that IT guy some day!

I am using a frame that was custom built by Art Morrison. Art is an old race guy that now builds some realy fantastic frames.

As of now, the http://www.55buick.com seems to be back up. If not... Just give it a few whacks!

I saw Leno's Buick well after I had started my project. Gives a guy hope. I'm not going for all the HP tha Jay built into his. I am going for cool, though!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi aforget,

The website is working and wow, excellent project there. An Art Morrison frame is a great way to start. I met Art a couple years ago in Louisville and he really impressed me, both knowledgable and down to earth.

Sent an e-mail to your buick guy address as well.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never seen Jay's Buick up close - but, have seen it in the magazines and on TV. You've got to laugh when he is running the quarter mile with four full-sized adults on board!

My car will be a daily driver, and much more tame than Jay's. I'm trying for a "refined automobile" at the end of the build. This means you get stuff like GPS, XM radio, Touch screens, LCD displays, Automatic temperature controllers, etc.

My wife was trying out some new Volvo's and I started leaning toward the heated seats! You'd never need those things in Santa Cruz, but they sure let you know you are in a first class vehicle.

That may be a stretch, though. The final body work and paint is supposed to (big supposed to) start on Monday. It may be a bit late for me to squeeze in some added comfort features. I am fairly far down the path for climate control, GPS, AM/FM, XM, Bluetooth phone control, etc.

Jay's car is a brute! A nice brute. My car has air-bags and a tame LS1 (as opposed to 500+ HP for Leno). When you get that much steel going that fast - it has to be a rush!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi Aforget,

Good luck with the final body work and paint. Looking forward to the updates.

You used an Art Morrison chassis and I am considering them for a future project. How were they to work with? Were they helpful and cooperative or difficult?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It took about 6 months to get it right. Perhaps, the biggest reason was that they were re-tooling at the time. This was the first 55 Buick that they ever did so we worked from measurements and the original frame specifications. There was much interactivity with some "gnashing of teeth". End result was spont-on perfect. I would expect a less exotic machine (Who'd a thought '55 Buick was exotic!) would take less time and less grief.

I love that frame!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts