Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm middle age working as a temporary instructor in a South Miami High-school. Mechanics has been a hobby and some formal vocational training growing up. The first experience was on a 56 Chevrolet Belair with a 62 348cu. in. V8. I was in a high school vocational auto mechanics class. The teacher was Mr. M. Brown at Tulsa, Oklahoma's Booker T. Washington. Several of the students helped me to rebuild that engine. The carburetor was a 4-bbl Rochester and the camshaft was 3/4 race. The transmission was a 3-speed with a stick on the floor. I did not know much about building for racing at that time and did not have the money. However, attending the races on Saturday was very exciting. I remember seeing a red dragster with a blown 350 Chevy engine that was one of the top runners. They evidently knew little about air-foils to be aerodynamic. It would whine and weave throughout the quarter-mile. It was also exciting to see A/Gas Supercharged 41 Willis run with a 426 blown Chrysler Hemi. Nothing has ever surpassed seeing "Big Daddy" Don Garlis run in Tulsa. He was one of the first to hit the 200 mph with his double engine dragster. Over the years knowledge and enthusiasm grew and my rides became more powerful. Now I am in an MBA/Technical Management program at the University of Phoenix in Plantation, Florida with almost a year to graduate.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Welcome to the Hotrodders Bulletin Board.....were glad to have you. :welcome:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts