Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all! I've been looking around for help with my not so popular Nova for sometime, and havent been successful so far. But after reading the info on this board, I'm actually alittle excieted! I own a 1968 Chevy II Custom Nova, it has 2 doors too many with an L6 230 Turbo-Thrift. The tranny is a Torque-Drive, and herein lies my problem. So far I havent found anyone who knows much about it. So my search for knowledge has been alittle frustrating. Hopefully thats about to change! lol Anyway, please bear with me, I'm new to boards. But please know that my quest is sincere. I'm looking to restore my car for my oldest son who will be driving in the not-so-distant future!(Prayers and insight on this issue will be Greatly appreciated!!) So thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
Your name caught my eye as one of my favorite Top Fuel / Funny Car racers is Jim Head.

Anyway, my guess is that you have a two speed automatic in it (PRNDL). This would be a Powerglide and the "Torque Drive" is an adman creation much like the "Turbo Thrift" (I am assuming it is not supercharged?). If it is a three speed auto (not sure if they put them behind sixes in 68) I believe it would have to be a TurboHydromatic 400 since the 350 didn't come out until 69 (I think, my memory isn't what it used to be). The 350 has a basically square pan. The 400 has a longer, odd shaped pan.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Welcome Jim...................The only automatic available behind the 6's in 68 was the 2 speed Powerglide. Very common tranny.

Is there a problem with it? If so, submit a post in the tranny forum.......someone will have an answer there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the responses. Don't think ill of me for saying this, but there really is a difference between a power glide and a torque drive. A power glide shifts by itself, while a torque drive requires shifting- but without a clutch. There is a site called Nova Research (www.chevynova.org/NovaCrossmember.html) that gives every tranny listed for Nova's. I found it awhile back. I'm not having any real probs. with the tranny, but it has over 180,000 miles on it and I know a service/re-build is in the not- so- distant future. So I'm trying to find parts for it before it malfunctions or expires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.