Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all!
I just finished my 55 BA Powergide rebuild. I did it because it had several leaks but it ran very well. What I did found was the stator inside the converter had chewed something in the past so I changed the entire converter just in case for another I had laying around that looked excellent inside but had evidence of being working loose at least in one of the screw bosses. Now, when I start the engine theres nothing strange the first 5 or so seconds but after that it starts making a rhitmic noise that looks like one hit per rev. Its not a grinding noise but more like something-is-hitting-something kind of noise but not hitting very hard. The flexplate is straight and the trans works good the few meters I moved it. I think it must be the converter because theres not much more moving inside the trans when in park. Maybe when the front pump presurizes "something" it gets misaligned? Only thing I found odd inside the "new" converter was a bearing a little too worn out and that may be the cause of too much movement of the stator paralell to the axle.
What do you people think?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Update.
I have the PG down and I have another converter. But I think I have something wrong here. If I take the input shaft (I mean the small axle that you see protruding fom the trans when you take out the converter) and make it spin with the trans not in park the driveshaft (wich is still connected) spins wit it. If I grab it with my hand I can stop it and continue spinning the other but should it happen that way?? How much drag should be between those two axles?
Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.