Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I'm in the process of setting up my shop for building hotrods. I have a 7hp 80 gallon 15 CFM @ 90 PSI 175 max PSI compressor, and was not sure what size pipe to run. I looked at the Devilbiss desiccant air filter system and it has 3/4" fittings. I also looked at the Eastwood Companies system which has 1/2" fittings and is also a couple hundred bucks cheaper. In the Eastwood Companies how to videos, the guys says uses 3/4" pipe but the filter system he shows has 1/2" fittings. My question is, is 1/2 lines more than enough to supply a 10 CFM Devilbiss Finishline spray gun as well as DAs and other air tools used in a body shop, or should run all 3/4" ??? There will only be one person working at a time, mainly me, a weekend warrior. They also recommended running 50 feet of pipe between the compressor and filter system to allow the air to cool before filtering which I planned on doing. Thanks for any advice on what's the best set-up ~ Len

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,423 Posts
You want the 3/4" pipe, VOLUME is very important with HVLP guns, the HV is "High Volume" right?

Brian

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The main lines in my shop are 3/4" black pipe. All of the drops are 1/2" black pipe. I have a big regulator plumbed into the system with 3/8" Quick Disconnect fittings and 1/2" hose out to the guns. I have no problems feeding any of my HVLP guns with this set-up.
Mark

·
The Penny Pincher
1,948 Posts
The half inch will work fine as long as you run high pressure
(like 90 psi or higher) through them and regulate down at the gun.

·
16,423 Posts
Pressure and volume are two different things.

You could run a quarter inch line and have 100 lbs PSI at the gun right?

Brian

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Pressure and volume are two different things.

You could run a quarter inch line and have 100 lbs PSI at the gun right?

Brian
Right! And no volume...

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,689 Posts
I'm pretty sure he won't have any problem getting 15 cfm thru a 1/2" pipe system...

Russ

·
16,423 Posts
"Getting" 15cfm through 3/4" would be easier. It does matter what tools are going to be used. An 8" hog needs a lot of air volume, an HVLP gun (depending on the gun, Sharpe Platinum is my favorite because it needs so little) needs a lot of volume of air to perform propertly.

If you go to paint gun manufacturers they all recommend 3/4" or larger because of this. That goes for the hoses too, the larger hoses are recommended, the low restriction couplers are recommended, all because volume is so important.

I have done tests with hoses for instance using a pressure gauge at the air cap on the gun that shows a drop in pressure by a few pounds (volume lost) when the hose length or diameter is changed.

Let me put it this way, outside of the slightly higher cost, is there a downside to having the larger pipe? Nope is the answer, it's all good, why not go with it?

Brian

·
Registered
840 Posts
I ran 1" copper tubing. You want/need the volume. Do it right the first time and wont have to do it again. A 1" garden hose with 60psi water pressure will move much more than 1/2" will at same psi. Setting up a shop - so some blasting will be involved too. 3/4 or 1" is what you will need. And with blasting, that 15cfm may not be enough either. It is going to run often and depending on what you are doing, a long time.

I can sand blast with my 7hp 80 gallon 23-24cfm and the pump will shut off while blasting. I like my compressor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts