Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 71 mustang mach 1with a 460, and I wanted to know whether that engine is worth keeping. I think its a lincoln motor. If you think its worth buying could you tell me what types of modifications I could do to make it extremely scary fast. My definition of fast is my 01 WS6 Transam 6 speed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
385 series engines (429 and 460 for all intents and purposes, but also the 370) are great motors to build... I was going to build one instead of my 393C, but funds didn't allow it (the swap woulda nickeled and dimed me to death, plus I want to run a 4 speed). If I had a car with a BB, theres no engine Ford makes that I'd swap it out for, old or new.

Depending on what year it was built and what it already has done to it will determine how fast it is. If it has the CJ/SCJ, PI, or D0VE heads on it, you're set, those are REAL nice iron heads for the 385s and can make some SERIOUS HP with the right combo (emphasis on COMBO). If you go with an aluminum head (Blue Thunder, Edelbrock, FRPP just to name a few), you can really squeeze some power out. And the 429/460 block allows for alot of stroke without alot of block modification, I was gonna build a 501, and theres a ton of 557s (another cheap and easy 460 stroker) running around.

With the right setup a 460+ CID Ford will trounce a WS6 and still have power left.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Lima block

Yes! There is also a 370 something truck engine thats a Lima block but not sure what anyone would want that version for.

·
Registered
157 Posts
460/429

Just a question on the Big Ford blocks..Do they have front or rear sump oil pans? If they are front sump pans can a rear sump pan be installed without breaking the bank??

·
Registered
76 Posts
The POS of one I had/have is a front sump... But there are rear sump ones I'm pretty sure, I don't think you need anything other than the pan and the pickup for the swap either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts