Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since I bought my Mustang I've wanted to do a few minor things to increase the horsepower but have always been hesitant to buy a cold air intake and a programmer because I was never really sure if they were going to make all that much of a difference. Last night I finally decided to break down and buy a Roush cold air intake and a Hypertech programmer. Hypertech advertises 4-5hp increases through most of the RPM range and 8hp at the factory peak, and it has programs for regular and premium fuels. I trusted their claim because the numbers didn't seem outrageous like some I have seen. For example: A friend of mine wants an Edge programmer for his F-150 because he saw an advertisement that said the programmer by itself would give him 30hp over stock, which is total bunk if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a ballpark increase of about 20hp between the intake and the programmer, which would bring output up to 320 or so. Is this a reasonable assumption or am I spending money for nothing here? The car is a 2007 Mustang GT.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Everybody want's big HP gains like 30-50hp out of one bolt on, whatever. But, small gain's add up too. Larger injectors, re-programing, cold air intake, exaust, underdrive pulley's, and things like that. :cool:

·
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sqzbox said:
Don't forget the mileage increase too. :cool:
Though any increase in mileage is always nice, I'm not too concerned with it. I can't imagine it would be too dramatic anyway.

I thought about pulleys but I am not too keen on underdriving components.

The Hypertech web site did show the programmer also increased power up to about 6200 rpm. It's currently limited to 6000 right now and it seems to be pretty common to raise the rev limiter to about 6250 without any issues.

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
add a "." before the 7%

Blazin72 said:
Ever since I bought my Mustang I've wanted to do a few minor things to increase the horsepower but have always been hesitant to buy a cold air intake and a programmer because I was never really sure if they were going to make all that much of a difference. Last night I finally decided to break down and buy a Roush cold air intake and a Hypertech programmer. Hypertech advertises 4-5hp increases through most of the RPM range and 8hp at the factory peak, and it has programs for regular and premium fuels. I trusted their claim because the numbers didn't seem outrageous like some I have seen. For example: A friend of mine wants an Edge programmer for his F-150 because he saw an advertisement that said the programmer by itself would give him 30hp over stock, which is total bunk if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a ballpark increase of about 20hp between the intake and the programmer, which would bring output up to 320 or so. Is this a reasonable assumption or am I spending money for nothing here? The car is a 2007 Mustang GT.
Generally feeding cold air to the intake increases power by about .7% for every 10 degree F drop in temp from the temperature of the air available from under the hood.

The power programmers take advantage of the fact that the factory has to meet Federal emissions for a period of 100,000 miles without maintenance. So the factories make a management system that is very conservative such that the engine will age out without exceeding pollutant levels till above 100,000 miles. The reprogrammed power packages eat into the factory long term emissions spec for near term power increases. This adds power but at the cost of the vehicle probably not being able to pass emissions beyond 50,000 miles without some major work to correct the effects of aging wear and its affect on emissions.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,935 Posts
Bogie, is that 7% per 10 degree drop a miss-print?? Figure I've always heard is 1% per 10 degree drop.
7% would be fabulous, drop the air temp 50° on a 500 hp engine and I'm going to get 175 extra hp?? I don't think so :nono:

·
Registered
229 Posts
cold air

Cooler air is ALWAYS better for performance. If you can get some "ramming-effect" thats even better. Once you get more cooler air IN...you also need to get more exhaust out easier too! Thats were you get a real"seat-of-the-pants" power increase. Headers and larger pipes and free-flow cats and muffs......the list just goes on-and-on!
I have heard it is better to do most all your mods and THEN have a custom chip burnt for the computer. That way the computer can take advantage of all the changes you made.
Sounds good to me.
6sally6

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
Is this a current Mustang?
If so I would spend some time researching. There are likely a magazine or two who have done some before and after dyno testing of bolt ons.
Always beware of the part makers dyno results, after all they are trying to sell parts.

·
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1ownerT, the car is a 2007 Mustang GT. I understand what you are saying. I am inclined to think the Hypertech numbers are a little more in line with a real world increase than the results my buddy found for his F-150. A magazine article is actually what gave me the idea to go with the Hypertech, they didnt have any hard dyno results but did have favorable things to say about it.

6sally6, the newer generation Mustangs actually have a very good exhaust (including the cats) and replacing the cats or replumbing the exhaust isn't going to do much for a nearly stock engine. New mufflers are in the works once I find something that I think sounds good. The factory exhaust manifolds aren't too shabby either. Ford spent a lot of time on the exhaust of these cars. Mine does have an X-pipe though.

·
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO
247 Posts
I can get behind the cold air intake - depending on how it is done. Are there any modifications you can perform on the factory piece?

Not familiar with the Mustang plumbing but on a lot of cars there are baffles and such that can be removed - they're in place to quieten the induction noise.

You may also be able to plumb something of your own.

I've seen some so-called 'cold air induction' setups from the aftermarket that give you a large cone filter right behind the rad. How cold is that?

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
I'll give you an example of cold air intake alone. I had a 73 lemans with a 455 in it and switched from an open element air cleaner to a closed type with 2 snorkel's. I ran a section of aluminum clothes dryer duct from each snorkel to either side of the radiator through to just behind the grill. It made enough difference that I could feel it the seat of the pant's especially when the sun went down. Engines like cool dense air and just with the cold air intake, there will be a performance increase alone. Adding a performance program will add to that. So my answer to your question is yes! Used with a K&N type filter also add's power with less restriction of air flow. :cool:

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
ericnova72 said:
Bogie, is that 7% per 10 degree drop a miss-print?? Figure I've always heard is 1% per 10 degree drop.
7% would be fabulous, drop the air temp 50° on a 500 hp engine and I'm going to get 175 extra hp?? I don't think so :nono:
Indoor speed typing---I missed a dot should read .7%.

Bogie

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
Blazin72 said:
1ownerT, the car is a 2007 Mustang GT. I understand what you are saying. I am inclined to think the Hypertech numbers are a little more in line with a real world increase than the results my buddy found for his F-150. A magazine article is actually what gave me the idea to go with the Hypertech, they didnt have any hard dyno results but did have favorable things to say about it.

6sally6, the newer generation Mustangs actually have a very good exhaust (including the cats) and replacing the cats or replumbing the exhaust isn't going to do much for a nearly stock engine. New mufflers are in the works once I find something that I think sounds good. The factory exhaust manifolds aren't too shabby either. Ford spent a lot of time on the exhaust of these cars. Mine does have an X-pipe though.
There are a couple of GT's around here that sound wicked when they are on it, I have no idea what they are running though.
You might check some of the newer Mustang forums, a lot of time guys will post vids/sound clips of their exhaust. It may give you some ideas.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Cold air can increase the performance of an engine. I used to drive a 1971 Datsun pickup witha manual valve on the air cleaner snorkel that would draw air in directly, and switched, would draw air off the exhaust manifold. The truck definitely had more power with the valve in the cold air position. However, it took longer to warm up. Driving the Datsun up to the mountains to go snow skiing, occasionally, the carburettor would ice up, with the snorkel in the cold position. I had the same results years ago, when I was taking flying lessons in a Cessna 150. You almost always did your takeoff runs with the carb heat control off, and once you were airborne, depending on the weather, you turned it back on, to prevent carburettor icing.
K&N filters do flow more air. They also flow more dirt. If you oil them, the oil can affect sensors in the intake of the engine.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Bogie nailed it while .7% doesn't sound like a lot by itself. But when you consider that under hood temps can ecxeed 250 degrees if you duct air in at 75 degrees 250- 75= 175 degree drop so 175/10=17.5 x.7=12.25% increase so if you are putting 300 out at normal temps you put out 336 with the cold air.So it is well worth it but remember say you dyno your engine (engine dyno) and it puts out 300 at a controlled air temp in the cell of 300 thats what you would be at with the cold air at 70.It gets you back what you lost from the dyno cell to the car install.

·
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the programmer arrived today. It was pretty simple to program. It's been wet for the last several days so I can't go out and drive aggressively to see if I notice any difference in acceleration. I suspect that I won't notice much there anyway because ~8hp isn't a huge number. What I did notice is the annoying delay between stepping on the gas and the corresponding increase in RPM is gone, or at least significantly diminished. I don't know if that is due to the engine itself being more responsive or if it is something in the Hypertech program that changes the delay between the two, either way I really like that improvement. The car is throttle by wire so there is no direct mechanical link between the pedal and the throttle body.

The intake wont be here until the middle of next week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.