Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Violating consensual reality
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some time today trying to get numbers for a small block Chevy rebuild but I can't find anyone to do it. I live in the southern San Francisco bay area. Any of you local guys know of a good shop?

Strummin

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
PM Powerrodsmike and ask him........he is a member here...he lives in Gilroy. :) :thumbup:

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
These days, with mass production, it is probably cheaper to buy a crate engine............and probably a better warranty.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
poncho62 said:
These days, with mass production, it is probably cheaper to buy a crate engine............and probably a better warranty.
Yep...unless you restoring one and want your own engine because it is numbers matching. I did my own in the coupe ( all but the machine work of course)..........I was not worried about warranty....I re-built them for 39 years making my living. :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi Strummin67

I'm in Milpitas, and have discovered Gromm Racing heads. Bob Gromm is the owner, and built the business from the ground up. He's done lots of hot boat motors and even a few rocord holders, I think.

If you do nothing else, at least talk to him. He does a lot of high-end cylinder head work and balancing, but has (I think) all the equipment in his shop to do the whole deal right there. Last time I was there he was finishing up a Donovan big block, blown.

Like I say, at least talk to him He is expensive, I suppose, but he does beautiful work.

Pat

·
Registered
994 Posts
strummin67 said:
I spent some time today trying to get numbers for a small block Chevy rebuild but I can't find anyone to do it. I live in the southern San Francisco bay area. Any of you local guys know of a good shop?

Strummin
What kind of engine are you rebuilding? What are your expectations for the build?

·
Banned
211 Posts
I am going to disagree with the crate engine route. Only based on what I have read so far and if I am wrong correction is fine but I read that the internals of those fancy crate engines are filled with questionable parts. For example, cheaply cast mexican blocks (not talking about an older ford block), pistons from brazil, other parts made in various asian countries, etc. I don't know how true all that stuff is but I would prefer purchasing the parts on my own, knowing where they came from, etc. Also I would want something in writing from the person who machines the engine. Oh yea, if it does fail and its no fault of your own, make sure the agreement is for both labor and parts and not free labor-you pay for the parts. My father got burned by a local guy when they neglected to check the valves spring retainer to underside of rocker arm clearance. Took out two cylinders, some bearings, and either one or two rods. Its ultimately up to you though.

·
Violating consensual reality
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not looking to race the car. I just want to be able to keep up with traffic.

Strummin

Onovakind did you sell your 283?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
QuenchPiston. You haven't bought any aftermkt engine parts lately have you??

Heco en Mexico is on most newer GM castings. Timing components are all Asian. Stainless valves=Argentina or Isreal. Most all crank/rod forgings are from across the pond. Bearings=Isreal. Rings=Mexico. The list goes on and on. Just because it says Fed-Mogul on it or Speed Pro. If you read the fine print it was actually made FOR that co. and re-boxed.

It is now a WORLD mkt. not like the old days

·
Banned
211 Posts
You are starting to make me shake. The last engine part I purchased was rings and yikes they were speed pro. Fortunately for me they rusted and never got used and I am now looking for a new set of rings. I contacted JE and they have the size I need but I neglected at that time to ask where they were made. Probably because I had my heart set on Childs&Albert rings. I didn't purchase them yet but now I will be asking where they are made. Sorry, but my 400 Mopar was made in America or shhhhhhhhh Canada (never dug into where this and that were cast back then) and I am not sure if it can run on parts from India or Pakistan.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
building it yourself and having it blueprinted, its going to have exact tolerences whereas a crate engine comes off an assembly line with questionable internal parts and usually a 1000 dollars more but if you dont have time i can see

1 - 20 of 37 Posts