Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you know this but there are a lot of "phillips" looking screws out there that aren't "phillips" at all. GM used them for years they are called Posidriv at least that is what MAC tools calls them and the ony name I have ever known. Many seventies and I think sixties cars used them, but they still are in use! I had a Posidriv screw driver years ago but had lost it and frankly forgot all about them. I will come across the need for them at work once in a while. So, back a while ago I ordered a driver from the MAC guy who stops by the shop. I found that a lot of cars have them like an S-10 Blazer I just worked on had these screws holding the wheel opening mouldings on. I can't tell you how different it is using these PosiDriv screw drivers over a Phillips. Sure, the Phillips work most of the time. But the Posidriv work SOOOOO much better it isn't even funny. It is almost like the thing is bonded to the screw when you put it in. You could put a wrench on the driver shaft to turn the screw and it wouldn't spin in the screw, it is VERY a positive fit! It is the best fitting screw diver to screw you will have see. Like a brand new torx or allen in a brand new screw.

Go look at your cars and see if this screw is used, if it is, you REALLY need one of these drivers.

https://www.mactools.com/portal/site/mac...000104d840aRCRD

Or at the Toolbarn.. http://www.toolbarn.com/product/irwin/3510871C/

Here is an article in on a British car site, so it isn't just American cars that used them... http://www.justbrits.com/pozi/pozidriv.html

If you google it you will find quite a few other places to get one.

Brian

·
Registered
294 Posts
yeah but...

Thanx Brian for the tip! I have never seen one of these things ...that I remember.

Just wondering why they would go to something that would obviously cost more to buy and buy special tools as well...unless there was a pay-off in assembly time?

I'll bet Mac socked it to you on the price of that driver?

Steve

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
That actually looks a lot like the quadrex recess screws I use for wood working. With quadrex recess you can use a #2 square drive, #2 Philip's or #3 Philip's. I have a few pz o, 1, 2 and 3 bits in my master bit set but I have never come across that type of fastener.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
LORD knows that I have said this for years, but a man is only as good as his tool... :thumbup:

It makes such a difference (IMO) to use the proper service tool rather than a hot wrench, BFH and WV ratchet.

While we are having a tool discussion here, and seeing as how I do not get onto tool trucks as often as I once did, has anyone seen anything comparable to the tools shown in below thumbnails?

The only source I have found is off-shore and I do not feel like experimenting. I would think MAC, SNAP-OFF or CORNWALL has something like these;

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts