Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to crack trans cooler inside of radiator yet not contaminate coolant that IS responsible for the cooling of motor oil in the radiator?????

^^^^MAIN QUESTION^^^^^^^^

------DETAILS BELOW------

IM AS DESPERATE AS THE NEXT MAN and you fella's have been good to me!!!

So the milky pink trans. oil appeared while driving on a hot day towing a trailer.

I flushed the trans. with about 30 quarts of oil until it was nice and cherry red again and no foam, or color change.

I CHECKED MY COOLANT FOR CROSS CONTAMINATION BECAUSE I BLEW THE COOLER SIDE OF THE RADIATOR (STILL LEAKS A LIL PINK DROP)

Coolant looks to be unaffected and my temp. maintained 180 for about 20mi of towing in 90 degree weather.

Now I have my lines running directly to my auxiliary oil cooler. Everything seems fine.

Am i in the clear???????????????????:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was leaking water then water would be leaking out of the coolers open line unless you sealed them up in the rad. if they are open and not spewing coolant then a longer test drive is in order but i would think this problem would show up very quickly.

Any chance the water came from another source rain in the dipstick over time.
No. Really what happened was 2 problems at once all pressure, temp related (i think).

First, i had some slippage because truck was runnin' at temps past the thermostat 205-210, sure enough I saw where I had leaked all of my ATF from the grommet gasket that holds the tube in the pan so i had no or very little ATF at that point.

Second. When i added some extra ATF i had sitting around and YES I COULD HAVE FORGOTTEN and somehow at somepoint added a little coolant to the extra 5 quart jug.

I then noticed the now PINK ATF spewing from the gasket, grommet area. And btw, the chrome finned trans. pans are junk IMO.

So, either A. The fluid leakage and tainting occured due to high temps and then mixed with the coolant in the radiator or.............

B. I added some bad fluid that I tainted on accident over the 1+yr I had it laying around.

But, after full flush service and re routing the lines to only go to and from my auxillary cooler that has a fan on it, all is well...................so far............ ANY IDEAS???????

TYVM SIR!!

btw this radiator has 2 lines to cool motor oil on drivers side and 2 to cool trans. oil on pass. side. No oil coming out of trans. oil side when left open and uncapped. GOOD OR BAD SIGN??? IM THINKIN GOOD!:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nissan made many Pathfinders that got coolant in the trans but not ATF in the coolant.
i read that doin' some research BUT this is an SBC 350 ZZ4 Motor towing an 8k lb travel trailer lifted (only 4 inches), bagged, on 33" bfg's

TYVM SIR!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to replace the rad in my escalde and it was pretty much the same type of system. It was a huge rad if you end up getting one may want to see if the 2000 escalade model will fit its probably the same as the other trucks that year.

Not sure if im following but if its not leaking fluid and they all look good its probably fine. I would test drive it to find out for sure just in case its a problem that comes up over time.
the esclade is prob a 5.3 liter or larger motor with a better radiator and bigger which will not fit. Radiators must fit or take allot of time to fabricate brackets/mounts etc.

Ya no problems with it, maybe im just fearful of another issue popping up. I will tripple check the double check on this whole ordeal.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts