Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a complete rebuild on my 41 Ford Convertible. I had SBC 350 in it and was using a M II front suspension. I want to go back with a Ford in a Ford. I want to go old school with an FE engine that quite a bit heavier than the SBC. Has anyone had experience running a heavy engine on the M II front suspension. Mine is of course aftermarket with tubular control arms.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a '39 Pontiac w/ an Olds 307 and TH350 auto trans. and pwr. steering and a/c...it's not a heavy engine, but I weighed the front end when I was going to buy new coil springs and shocks....was surprised the front end alone weights 1,800#. It DOES have a
'76 Mustang II front suspension, and even with this weight, it handles great....FWIW. Mine has stock control arms.
Not sure I answered your question......

·
Registered
159 Posts
You will have no problem with putting the FE in there. Remember in a stock MII the engine set directly over the front axle. That includes 302s as well. In hot rods the engine is set back from the axle center. Every MII install I have done required even the smallest springs to be cut to get adequate suspension travel and ride height. The MII in my 36 Chevy is a stock cross member cut from a car, modified slightly with a couple of re-enforcements using stock control arms and spindles and is running a 351C/FMX drive train. Been there for a little over 100K miles with no issues.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
Cross out "Mustang II" and replace it with "Pinto" (which is where that suspension originally came from). Feel better now? Yeah, I realize that most aftermarket "M II" suspensions have nothing in common with the Mustang II. Still...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The aftermarket Mustang II stuff seems very substantial. And springs with different heights and rates are available from companies like Speedway, Heidt's, and Chassis Engineering, as well as their kits with the ability to adjust height.

I think cutting a spring is the last thing you want to do, unless you want it shorter and stiffer. But maybe that's the only way to do it for totally stock front end.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Another vote for you'll be ok-I have a big block chevy wover a Heidt's Superide II (w/2" dropped spindles) -I was just under it today looking at pivot points, weldments, etc., and could not find any problems-you're good to go, and I love the old FE's!

·
Registered
432 Posts
The FE isn't that much heavier than SBC or SBF, maybe 225 lbs. Physical size is larger on the FE. But you can get a SBF stroked to around 400 inches, with the right heads and come up with more HP than a 428 cobrajet in a smaller package.
Speed parts will be less expensive for the SBF than a FE also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a picture of what happened when I was test driving a 1950 Oldsmobile with a BBC engine. I applied the brakes really hard and the front end dropped almost to the pavement. Luckily I was not going fast and there was no other traffic. This was an older build from around 1994. No doubt stressed from earlier events. But I would be worried if I owned this car.
Automotive tire Engineering Gas Auto part Composite material

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a picture of what happened when I was test driving a 1950 Oldsmobile with a BBC engine. I applied the brakes really hard and the front end dropped almost to the pavement. Luckily I was not going fast and there was no other traffic. This was an older build from around 1994. No doubt stressed from earlier events. But I would be worried if I owned this car. View attachment 621490
Were these quality arms or that Icon crap? I stay away for their stuff like the plague.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
Odd place for a break! Zooming in looks like the edge is crystallized. Is there a piece missing or is the LCA bent enough to open a gap like that?

Russ

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks like the attachment of the spring seat and shock, created a stress point. Welding on tubing is sometimes tricky. Like welding on a frame lip is a no-no. Defiantly junk now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The car was built by a very reputable shop way back in 1994. I don't know the particulars of where the M2 suspension came from. The car rode like a meatwagon, and I imagine had it's share of hard knocks. It is just lucky that it broke when it did, not on the freeway at speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts